VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I ripped my DVDs for playing on my AppleTV I never thought it through very well and only created an AC3 audio stream using Handbrake. Now I've got an iPad I want to watch some of those movies on the iPad but obviously they won't play. I've had a search around and know not enough to figure out how to easily (on a Mac) create a new AAC audio stream in the file (while keeping the AC3 stream) - what's the easiest way? Any ideas? Many thanks in advance for your help!! Much appreciated.

William
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy,
    I'm not sure if you found a solution yet, but I just uploaded a very early, pre-beta release of MKVtools that should do this for you. The key word is should . I added a dual audio output option intended for AppleTV users, and though MKVtools is primarily intended for use with mkv files, all of its functionality should also work on mp4 videos or avi videos for that matter. So you should be able to passthrru the original video and audio, and have a new aac audio stream created and muxed into the output. I just haven't done much testing on videos other than mkv's so I'd love to get some feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm loving the beta of MKVTools, but had a quick question.

When converting audio from AC3 to the AAC (2 Ch.) option, is the resulting audio basic stereo or the slightly more enhanced Dolby Pro Logic II (2 Ch.) format that Handbrake uses?

(hope that makes sense)

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Wokavan,
    I'm glad the beta is working out for you. For now, unfortunately, the 2 Ch. audio is basic stereo. I'd like to output Dolby Pro Logic, but in my limited research I haven't found a good solution using mencoder. So this issue has been shifted down the todo list by other issues with less time intensive solutions. Hopefully it'll be available someday. I might have to look into ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With Handbrake you can have 2 audio streams, the original AC3 passthru and the same converted to AAC.
    The trick is to have first stream AAC and keep m4v extension (not mp4) so that the iPad will play it.
    I tried it myself with my iPad and it works.
    Quote Quote