VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I am thinking of getting a TV card with hardware MPEG 4 encoder (Compro E900F to be exact)...

Is it worthwhile to do so? I am hoping that the videos recorded with the card will be in higher quality than those recorded with hardware MPEG 2 encoders...

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If want quality get the video first with lossless codec and compress later.
    Be aware that the file captured with Compro E900F is interlaced and not progressive as you expect from a mpeg4 file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How do I get the video with lossless codec? I don't see any option that allows that in the manual...

And interlaced videos are videos with lines on them, right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Third application like VirtualDub is needed for uncompressed capture. Official software is limited to general use. Most users don`t know/want advanced options. All interlaced videos have those lines in motion. To make progressive another step is required.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hmm... Let me guess: Uncompressed capture will definitely cause more CPU usage, right?

And the "another step" required is called de-interlacing in video editors like Sony Vegas, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, not more CPU.
    No, Vegas sucks at deinterlacing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. 1. Thanks, let me explore that option...
    2. Not planning to use Vegas (too expensive!), what program do you think work best? I can only think of Adobe Premiere (another expensive one) at the moment...
    3. How do I know what resolution each card can record up to? I saw people who managed to record up to 1920x1200...
    Quote Quote