VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM

I have two types of movie files in the USB PEN DRIVE
    1st type: No problem with this

JFK CD1.avi
    JFK CD1.SRT

This is JFK Movie in .avi format and the associated sub title in the .SRT format.
    Sony BDPs370 plays it with subtitles with no issues.
    Conclusion, Sony BDPS370 can read the SRT format subtitle files.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd type : This is the problem

I have another file

Up in the air.MP4
    Up in the air.SRT

This is UP in the Air Movie in .MP4 format and the associated sub title in the .SRT format.
    Sony BDPs370 plays ONLY THE MP4 (Video and Audio is OK) and NOT PLAYING THE SUBTITLE

I did some study in the net and understood that, in MP4 format, the Video , Audio and Subtitles needs to be embedded as one single MP4 file , with the respective file format. So I used a tool named Yamp, this tool will pickup the video, audio and subtitile (.SRT) and mux them as Single MP4,

After remuxing through YAMP - it plays perfectly well in PC using VLC player WITH SUBTITILE - no issues
    BUT in the BLU RAY Player - it is STILL NOT PLAYING THE SUBTITILE- when I press the subtitile button on the remote.

Please see the below screen capture

Note: I downloaded this MP4 from torrent - where the ripped MP4 had video and audio embedded in it (may be not the subtitile)

[IMG]c:\MP4 with subtitle[/IMG]

What I need?
    1. How to make the SUBTILE work with MP4 format in standalone player?
    2. Why .SRT fie is working for .AVI and NOT WORKING for MP4?

Looking for some help here from you folks..
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    please see the attachment for more details
    Last edited by Raghavendran; 27th Jul 2010 at 14:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Problem details_BDPS370_.doc
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found the solution for this:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/how-to-add-subtitles-permanently-to-existing-mp...e-t338462.html

Note:
    The version 4.2.0 has some issues, it does generates the file and it plays well in PC (VLC media player) - BUT NOT IN THE SONY BLUERAY
    Then as per the suggestion of stars.. i tried downloading version 3.4.0 of mkvtoolnix - then it works well.

Thanks
    Raga.
    Quote Quote  
  5. you should use a program to convert the .mp4 file to .mkv file, and embed the subs. My Sony BDP S570 does not support the .srt files and when I embed those the player can't play it because it's unsuported. So first I convert the .srt file to .ass file and then embed it. The mkvmerge GUI program converts your .mp4 files to .mkv, you don;t loose any of the quality and it takes less than 10 minutes. You can find the detailed instructions on youtube on how to use the SubtitleWorkshop and the mkvmerge GUI programs. I hope this helps you enjoy your movies
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Lela
    Thanks for your reply..
    I was able to make the subtitle working - as per my previous post..

Some additional points..

1. If it is .mp4 then use mkvmergeGUI to add subtitles -->.mp4 + .srt gives =>.MKV - which is played by the SONY BR PLAYER.
    2. If it is .avi then use aviaddxSubs to add subtitles --> .avi + .srt gives =>divx - which is played by the SONY BR PLAYER.

3. In case of .MKV, sometimes when the player does not play - use h264leveleditor and change h264 level to 4.0 - then the BD player should play it

Hope this helps ..

Regards
    raga
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a similar problem with my Sony S370 Blu-Ray player. So I thought I'd first try replying to this thread, before starting a new one, since I've tried the solutions above.

Specifically, I tried using MKVExtractGUI-2.2.2.9 to add the .srt file to the .mp4. Very quick. The resulting MKV file hangs the Sony player immediately after displaying the file info during load.

I then tried using H264LevelEditor_1.2.0 to change the MKV level from 3.1 to 4.0. Same result.

I'd really like to know how to make this box work with subtitle (.srt) files. So far, the only way I've been able to get subtitles to show up is to burn a DVD using ConvertXtoDVD 4 and playing the resulting DVD in the player. But that a) takes a lot of time and b) limits my resolution to 480p. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as would suggestions on a ~$100 replacement box should no other help be forthcoming.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. My BDP-S490 was not able to play srt+mp4. So I changed the extension of the movie file from mp4 to avi and it works flawlessly.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Guys.

You could just try to rename the file extension from *.mp4 into *.avi. It will work.

Another thing, you all will become frustate when you try to use the resume function, it dos not work in BD-J discs (almost all).

This BDP-370 and others Sony family BD players will be my last option in the future.

Regards
    Quote Quote