VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a large DVD library and would like to RIP them to backup to my hard drive(s) in order to play them through my WD Live HD Media Player onto my 55" HDTV. Hard drive space is no concern of mine... whereas the best quality playback is.

I have read posts on this forum, but am only confused because of the broad nature of the suggestions.

Could someone give me as detailed instructions as possible in order to accomplish this task?

I'm running Windows 7 Home premium 64bit and the following are programs I have available:

Pinnacle Studio 14
    DVD Blaster
    DVD Decrypter
    AnyDVD
    Need4Video

Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bht42 View Post
    I have a large DVD library and would like to RIP them to backup to my hard drive(s) in order to play them through my WD Live HD Media Player onto my 55" HDTV. Hard drive space is no concern of mine... whereas the best quality playback is.
    "Ripping"....or "a Rip" IS an exact copy of the DVD. There is NO quality difference between programs that "Rip" the DVD without compression.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1) Start MakeMkv.
    2) Select main movie (or whatever you want to keep).
    3) Press start button.

That will remux the VOB files into an MKV container. There will be no quality loss.

Or:

1) Start DVD Fab.
    2) Select DVD to ISO
    3) Press start.

That will give you an ISO image of the entire disc. The WDTV Live will only play the main movie.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Jul 2010 at 07:40.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    DVDFab with the main movie option. Or CloneDVD2 with the main movie option.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Since he already has AnyDVD, we might give him some instructions on using it for this purpose. AnyDVD has a built in ripping capability, so start the program, right click on the little fox icon at the bottom right on your screen, then rip the dvd to the hard drive as files or as an image file (ISO). This will rip the entire disk.

If you just want the main movie using a free tool, you can use DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode to select it. Use AnyDVD in the background to break encryption. Set the output in DVDShrink to use No Compression, and you can have it output as files or as an ISO.
    Quote Quote