VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I am getting ready to buy a 32" LCD for my office next weekend. I will be using it mostly with my three pc's as a monitor. But I also will be using it with a HD satellite receiver and playing PS3 games & pc games sometimes. I have been looking at Toshiba, Sony ,Panasonic. I have heard these are the best. I am not sure if I will even use 1080p. I might just get a 720p LCD. I can't see a difference at all with my plasma's between 720p & 1080p. What do you think? I am a huge plasma fan have 65,50,54 Panasonic & Pioneer. But they don't make a 32" Plasma LOL. I have a $500 budget. Would a LED LCD be better with what I am using it for? Will be looking at Costco & online.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have one of the first generation 32 inch Panasonic 720p LCD TV which is going on 3 or 4 yrs old. It's a great LCD TV and also use it to watch bluray movies as well. I'm not a fan of Toshiba and Sony is fine. I have a Sony 40 inch LCD TV which had ghosting problems so I had to return the first one that I bought. No other problems but that. Pioneer no longer manufactures their panesl and TV's. They outsource to Panasonic now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol - a 32" 1280x720 display. the type would be an inch tall. 1920x1080 wouldn't be much better. ok for a small tv, but a computer monitor would need a much higher res to be usable at that size. a 24-26" led-lcd would be more usable. if you really need to go BIG then one of these is quite usable as a computer display.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617+600030629&QksAut...e=&srchInDesc=
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    lol - a 32" 1280x720 display. the type would be an inch tall. 1920x1080 wouldn't be much better. ok for a small tv, but a computer monitor would need a much higher res to be usable at that size. a 24-26" led-lcd would be more usable. if you really need to go BIG then one of these is quite usable as a computer display.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617+600030629&QksAut...e=&srchInDesc=
    Wow those are spend monitors. So a standard LCD HDTV won't be good for a PC monitor? I have a high end video card with HDMI output does this make a difference for a monitor? So LED would be better? What about this one? I could live with 26" but no smaller.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11540551&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|7...US&Sp=C&topnav=
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My folks recently purchased a 32" Series 6 LED Samsung full HD TV. Very nice TV for the price. Great picture quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by neworldman View Post
    Well I am getting ready to buy a 32" LCD for my office next weekend. I will be using it mostly with my three pc's as a monitor.
    Then you want 1080p without overscan. Otherwise everything on the Desktop will be blurry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If only because of lower power consumption compared with its fluorescent-lamp backlit counterpart, it's better to get an LED-backlit LCD TV. But a 32" LCD monitor that has a mechanical resolution, with the graphics adapter correctly recognizing it, of 1920x1080, will display some "funny big characters"; takes some getting used to.
    There is an even bigger concern here, though. Some LCDs are optimized to be used as computer monitors; some are optimized to be used as LCD TVs. Those optimized to be used as computer monitors usually do not have tuners or YPbPr component inputs; they'll have DVI, HDMI, and VGA. They come with a driver CD (or there are current bonafide drivers to be downloaded), so making the existing graphics card recognize their correct resolution is not a (big) problem.
    LCDs optimized for TV use have tuners, YPbPr inputs, HDMI, and that obligatory VGA connector. They may or may not have DVI; they may or may not have drivers, and this can cause all sorts of mixed-up resolutions. For example, a 32" JVC LCD TV I encountered that only has VGA has a 1366x768 resolution, but no matter what I do, the built-in 945 graphics card I paired it with insists on giving it 1024x768 and nothing else, even with the latest drivers. In another case, I'm using an LG M237WA LCD TV that functions OK 1920x1080 with DVI, connected to an nVidia Quadro FX580 graphics card. However, it insists on automatically overscanning anything connected to its HDMI inputs, which complicates connecting it (via a DVI-to-HDMI cable) to another DVI-output nVidia GeForce 9500GT card (implying you are wont to use the HDMI input with such things like a blu-ray player or an AVCHD camcorder, NOT a graphics adapter card).
    Short-of-it: find a way to make sure your desired LCD will display the correct mechanical resolution to whatever computer (and its graphics card) you decide to attach it to, whether by way of VGA, DVI, HDMI, or the newest kink, DisplayPort.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote