VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,
    does anyone know how to add subtitle to a x264 movie .
    im not intresting in something complex since , im not going to burn them to disc, i only intresting in adding - watching on mmy tv - and delete.

i know how to do this thing with dvd format but this is a new field for me.

a link to a guide will be great too.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4psp, load movie, load subtitle file, choose a format that your tv supports, convert. Done.

Or do you want a blu-ray? then use multiavchd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i to have multiavchd but i didnt see where i can add my own subtitle .....
    how do i do it with multiavchd ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here is a guide I found:

http://www.bitburners.com/articles/create-avchd-discs-with-subtitles-using-tsmuxer/4047/

It looks pretty simple, if you already have an AVCHD folder structure available.

If you are using a PS3, you might need to use something like AVCHDManager to get the folder structure compatible.

I haven't tried it - I'll be doing it shortly with the Patlabor Blu Rays (the OVA was just released on Japan with no subtitles, so I'm adding my own, and the remainder is out later in the year). And I'll add my own notes for how I do it, probably do my own guide.

I was trying to figure how to approach it - eg, remaster new blu rays (would need a burner, plus media which I don't have), convert to mp4s with subtitles (PS3 will read subtitles in a divx avi I believe), or go AVCHD on an external disc. I finally decided on going AVCHD at this point using an external HDD. And, at some point when I get a burner I'll remaster it to blus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In MultiAVCHD click on the title to bring up the transcode options and you will see all the subtitle and audio streams listed. I believe you can add additional ones at this point (don't kave multiavchd on this machine, so I can't confirm). Otherwise AVCHDCoder happily reads subs in the same folder as the source and adds them if ticked.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    In MultiAVCHD click on the title to bring up the transcode options and you will see all the subtitle and audio streams listed. I believe you can add additional ones at this point (don't kave multiavchd on this machine, so I can't confirm). Otherwise AVCHDCoder happily reads subs in the same folder as the source and adds them if ticked.
    Yes, it does. It is a bit unclear how it works, and can't preview the subs with it unfortunately. I'm finding it is pretty hard doing your own subs and being able to synch with m2ts video... None of the tools support it that I can find. I'm going to basically extract the audio and synch from that... My Japanese is pretty poor though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would do a quick single-pass encode to Xvid (quality doesn't matter that much) so you can then use Subtitle Workshop or another subtitling tool. Pretty much everything supports Xvid AVI.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hmm, thanks that is a good idea. I just have to figure how to do that (have never actually done that before either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4PSP can do this, or WinFF or even Any Video Converter Free
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've managed to get the subtitles synched. Took a bit of work. I'm having trouble getting the PS3 to recognize the USB as an AVCHD though. I've used AVCHDManager to rename it, and it all shows and detects fine in AVCHDManager, but the PS3 just doesn't recognize my USB drive as an AVCHD. I've tried having the defauls AVCHD folder in the usb root, as well as putting it in a "PRIVATE" subfolder, like how AVCHD's appear on camcorders.

There has to be something wrong with the files themselves I think. If I just browse the USB drive and nagivate to the stream folder, only the last one appears as valid media file (it is only 2GB). I had all the files split at 3,6GB the first time (to be safe) and 4gb the second, but the PS3 won't play them.

Any ideas? The audio is just LPCM stereo - and the sound plays on the last 2GB file.

I did some searching also online, and found some vague reference saying about 8.4GB total size being a limit for PS3 for AVCHD, but it wasn't clear

EDIT: I did another test with just one episode. Total size 6GB. I split the files on 1GB. I used tsMuxer to go from the rip and multiplexed the sub using that. Same issue - no AVCHD showed in the PS3, and navigating to the mts files in the stream folder, only the last one would play.

This is bizarre. I've been googling like crazy, looking for solid examples, file structures, screenshots of people having done the same, videos, etc, but very little luck. People just say they use AVCHDManager to do the renaming, and all just works
    Last edited by Mobe1969; 27th Jul 2010 at 05:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Must be a TSMuxer thing. I've done it using MultiAVCHD and it works. My subs are out of synch though after the first episode so I got to fix that...

For anyone who is wondering how a AVCHD appears on a PS3, under video, you will see your USB drive. Select it, and under that if all OK you will see an AVCHD folder. Click on that and it goes to a menu.
    Quote Quote