VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All right. So I've bought myself a Blu-Ray burner. It's on its way and I thought I'd play around with Encore and figure out how to create a Blu-Ray. I created a disc and burnt it to an image then played it on my TV using my Seagate Theatre. Looked pretty good, but not as good as the original source file.

Here's the process that I used:

1. Downloaded HD file from Tivo using NowPlaying widget.
    2. Used MPEG Streamclip to convert the MPG to MOV (I found that running the MPG through Compressor was very very slow and doing the same with Encore caused it to crash). The encoding that I used was HDV 1080p30 and used 16:9 (maybe I should have used unscaled).
    3. Created a .h264 and a .ac3 file in Compressor, compressing using the default.
    4. Imported those files into Encore and created a basic video-only disc.

It looked PRETTY good but not perfect. It doesn't have the same quality as the MPG. Where did I go wrong? Encoding in MPEG or encoding in Compressor?

As an aside, when you create a new project in Encore, you have to specify the resolution, framerate and codec. What if I want to have 1080p/24fps and 480p/30fps assets? How do I do that?

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go get a copy of Toast Titanium 10.0.7.

1. Drag and Drop the HD .mpg file into the Open Video Window of Toast Titanium 10 with the Blu Ray option selected.
    2. Select a menu theme
    3. Insert Blu Ray disc into Drive
    4. Click burn.

Most on this board use either Toast Titanium or Final Cut Studio.
    Not too many of us use Adobe Encore, so you may not get the answers you want here.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. http://www.iwantvideo.tv
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, get used to Encore crashing. I use Encore quite a bit, and it is the most buggy, crash-prone piece of junk that I have. Unfortunately, it is the only option for creating a nice Blu-ray. Toast is OK, but there menus SUCK.

When you say it doesn't look as good, what is the issue? Does it look softer? blocky? vertical lines?

Have you tried using Adobe Media Encoder? I have had some good luck with that as well as compressor.

Ray The Video Guy - Host of 'I Want Video!' http://www.iwantvideo.tv
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the quality issue solved. I've been using Encore to transcode and the video looks identical to the source...and I feel that my eye is pretty discerning.

I'm still in the dark on mixing resolutions. Do you know anything about this?
    Quote Quote