VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a flv video that I downloaded that was in h264 format. However it is letterboxed. I want to convert it for my psp. I have tried 16:9 and fully expanded modes in format factory from the original flv but both are letterboxed on the psp.

It isn't squatty or anything. It does have black bars though and is "approximating" the look of a 2.35:1 movie on a psp. However when viewed in square mode it is closer to 1.78 so the black bars should be almost non existent in true 16:9 mode.

Is there a special setting to use in super or xvid4psp for "un" letterboxing a h264 movie?

Also my only source for said video is the "original" flv download. So I can demux the video and get a raw .264 file. I know not many programs accept flv directly which is why I was using format factory.

Suggestions are welcome.

Fyi the quality of the video is decent enough that I would like to make a dvd of it as well so if I could be instructed on proper "un" letterboxing for a 16:9 dvd as well I'd appreciate it.

I have done many flv conversions and many have been 16:9 that turned out well but this one has me stumped right now.

Thanks for any help.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you crop the black borders in format factory?

Or else try handbrake and under video use the cropping and resize to a 16:9 resolution/size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not where cropping options would be in format factory. If they have I have not used it before and do not know how.

As for handbrake I have never used it before and would need to review it first.

Thanks for the suggestions Baldrick. I'll look into them.

EDIT - Found it in Format Factory! Thanks Baldrick. Its in the same screen as the one to choose and playback subtitles.

I am doing an encode now to test it. I don't know if I'll be able to test it tonight or not. If not I'll check it this weekend and report back.

Assuming this works the way I want it to I'll be able to use the same procedure to output to dvd using format factory.

Thanks again Baldrick.

Edit 2 - well my first try was not successful. I used the crop tool to highlight just the video portion of the screen inside the black bars. Then I selected 16x9 as the output format.

The final video on the psp looks just like the first converted video. It has bars on the top and bottom.

In the end I can live with it - its not that big of a deal and only appears to be this particular video.

I would like to try to fix it though.

I will try more this weekend. Thanks.
    Last edited by yoda313; 22nd Jul 2010 at 19:45.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote