VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to video and blu-ray and I need help please! I have a Canon HD camcorder and I recorded some HD videos and now I want to burn them onto a blu-ray disc for best quality and then play them back on a standalone player on the tv. I have a blu-ray writer on my PC (running windows 7) and I have a Panasonic blu-ray player for my tv. I've tried about 5 different burning software programs and each time it seems to burn to the disc but then when I put it in my blu ray player it shows the disc is blank. Is it the format it's saved in? The burning process I'm doing? I heard something about "authoring" but I don't know what that is. Can anyone help? I need this simplified. I'm not looking to do any fancy editing to it. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See "What is Blu-Ray? top left on this page.

Which camcorder model?

How are you editing?

If you export from your editor in a Blu-Ray compatible format, MultiAVCHD might be the easiest tool to create a basic Blu-Ray disc.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The camcorder is Canon Vixia HF200. I'm not doing any editing at this point, I just want to get it on a disc to watch it on my tv. I tried MultiAVCHD already and I brought the files into the program and exported it (it created a .m2ts file) and then burned the disc, but it still can't be read by my player.

Do you know what file type it has to be to be read by blu ray players? When I take it off my camera it's a .mts file.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ej30 View Post
    The camcorder is Canon Vixia HF200. I'm not doing any editing at this point, I just want to get it on a disc to watch it on my tv. I tried MultiAVCHD already and I brought the files into the program and exported it (it created a .m2ts file) and then burned the disc, but it still can't be read by my player.

Do you know what file type it has to be to be read by blu ray players? When I take it off my camera it's a .mts file.

Thanks.
    Some players will play an m2ts file from disc root.

Most Blu-Ray players will play h.264 or MPeg2 from the AVCHD structure created by MultiAVCHD (The BDMV directory).

Some players require strict Blu-Ray authoring.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What file extension does your camcorder make? You might try TSmuxer it let's you chose BR or AVCHD .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, are you saying that I should find a program that will export the videos as MPEG2 files so most blu-ray players will read it? If so, do you happen to know a program that does that?

-Wulf109: My camcorder makes ".mts" files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, are you saying that I should find a program that will export the videos as MPEG2 files so most blu-ray players will read it? If so, do you happen to know a program that does that?

-Wulf109: My camcorder makes ".mts" files
    No. Your camcorder outputs AVCHD format h.264 with mts extension. If your player doesn't recognize the file directly you would import it to MultiAVCHD and create a BDMV folder structure and m2ts that your player may recognize.

see
    http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/tutorial.php
    Last edited by edDV; 21st Jul 2010 at 22:13.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @ej30: Make sure that you burn the BDMV folder which multiAVCHD creates. Do not burn just the M2TS files from STREAM folder.
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so I burned both the BDMV and Certificate folders to the disc and it still won't play on my blu ray player. But this time it doesn't give me the message of either "disc is not compatible" or "disc is emtpy". I noticed there is also a 3rd folder that MultiAVCHD creates called "HDAVCTN". Does this folder also have to be copied over?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Players differ for "AVCHD" support. Be sure you read the manual concerning playback modes. Also search your player model number with Google for user input. Player model number + "AVCHD" or "AVC" or "m2ts" or "BDMV" might zero in on a discussion specific to your player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I just spoke with Panasonic tech support about why my blu ray player isn't playing the burnded BD-R disc and he suggested it's because I didn't finalize the disc. I don't know how to do this, I just burned it and thought it was done. Do BD-R discs have to be finalized? Anyone know how to do that? I'm using IMG Burn software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, I just spoke with Panasonic tech support about why my blu ray player isn't playing the burnded BD-R disc and he suggested it's because I didn't finalize the disc. I don't know how to do this, I just burned it and thought it was done. Do BD-R discs have to be finalized? Anyone know how to do that? I'm using IMG Burn software.
    The Imgburn disc would be finalized. This person thought you were talking about a camcorder disc. Call again and hope for a better response.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay, so I also tried copying over the whole folder "AVCHD" that MultiAVCHD created and it still doeesn't work. When I put it in the player it starts to read it and then it says "play" on the front of the player and then it says "stop" right away and the screen stays black.

Not sure what else to try? Anyone ever burned a video on a BD-R disc and played it on a standalone player successfully?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Panasonic BR player and it refused to play any BD-R I had burned. They all played in my Sony. I returned the Panasonic and bought another Sony which also plays everything I burn. There are some players that will not play a burned BD-R. I would still try TSmuxer to create a disk from your camera's file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use Imgburn. Select the BDMV folder, and let Imgburn configure everything ti needs for Bluray. If it asks if you want to include the certificates folder or change the format, say Yes.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you everyone. So, I found out today that the disc will play on my friend's LG Blu-ray player just fine. So I guess it's my Panasonic that's the problem. Panasonic is supposed to be the brand that will play the most formats, but I guess not. I'm going to try it on my parents Sony player next and see if it works there.
    Quote Quote  
  17. For your Panasonic you can use [AVCHD strict] button after you click [START]. It will work.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where is the "AVCHD strict" button? In the IMGburn software? In the multiAVCHD software? THanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone! I did the "AVCHD strict" and it worked on my Panasonic. Yeah! The only thing is, it now doesn't show the different clips of movies and let you choose which one to watch. It just starts playing the first one and continues to play all of them. Does anyone know if that is part of the "AVCHD strict" thing or some feature I did in the process? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  21. @ed30: You have to enable the option to [x] Create top menu in AUTHOR tab. Make sure that you have avisynth, ffdshow and haali splitter installed.
    Quote Quote