VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone help me with this?

this is the example of what i mean.. displying one subtitle on the top of video in one language and the other at the bottom of screen in another language for uploading in youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ga90J5lveE

Do you know which software has this ability?
    Last edited by farzad67; 20th Jul 2010 at 16:43.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    avidemux or virtualdub and just add two subtitle filters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you..could you please explain how i can add 2 subtitle filters? what do you mean by "filters"?
    Quote Quote  
  4. When you do something to a video, you filter it. You add subs, you're filtering it. I'd make 2 instances of subs in SSA format which has the ability to add in positioning, one 'normal' and the other at the top. I do this using AviSynth scripts, then encode using VDub. I expect you can do it fairly easily using VDub alone by adding the TextSub filter twice, as Baldrick said. You can also set the positions while configuring them. I don't use AVIDemux, but you can probably do the same with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you friends. yes i managed to add it using Avidemux.. however still can't add it in a colored overlay like the abovementioned video..
    look at this for example.. it has 2 subtitles in 2 colored overlay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EljX5-Wgbo&feature=related
    Quote Quote  
  6. Like I said, I don't use AviDemux, but it's easily done using VDub(Mod) (and also using AviDemux, I'm sure). Create the two sets of subs first with the styles you want, open 2 instances of the TextSub filter, and:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2Subs.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2747  

Quote Quote  
  7. I am using subtitle workshop 4 and i can just change the color of fonts there not able to create colored box around it.
    working with virtualdub is really hard for me.. there are alot of steps and i am not sure at last i can get the desired result..
    But instead i am using Auto GK.. its fast and easy..I checked Avidemux 2.5 .. nothing is there to create box around subs..Only the color of fonts are changable there..
    Is it possible to create colored box with the sofwares i have now without going through though and complicated steps?
    Quote Quote  
  8. The 'colored box' is just the outline. The ones I showed you have a 10 pixel outline, where they're usually black and 2 pixels thick.

You can use AutoGK for this by using the CTRL-F8 trick to load the subs. I just tested it out and it works. However, because AutoGK allows the loading of only a single sub, you'll have to combine both languages in the same sub, one in the regular location, one up top. I don't use Subtitle Workshop, so I can't help with that. But only SSA and ASS formats allow for the styles, where you can choose the font, size, colors, positioning, etc. I always use SSA format because that's the one with which I'm most familiar. SRT and the others are useless for this kind of work (without a separate styles file, not honored by many programs).

If you send me the subs (attach to your post) I can probably do it for you. And once I do, I can (maybe) explain how you can do it. Also give me the other details such as font, font size, colors (unless the color is in the subs already), etc., anything important.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to convert .srt to .ssa format, you can use 'SRT to SSA Converter'
    Set the 'Outlines' to 4 and save the output.
    To increase the outline width, open the output file in Notepad and change the 4 to 10.

Style: Default,Arial,26,253436,0,16777215,255,-1,0,4,2,2,20,20,10,0,0
    Last edited by sambat; 22nd Jul 2010 at 09:11. Reason: Clarity
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok. I guess subtitle workshop won't work for my first language . I just found out that it doesn't support Romanian symbols like ş, ţ, ă, â, î... so it's gonna be useless for me.. i have to choose another option... and you say for producing colored box around subtitles i should have .ssa files.. could you please tell me which one is the best and eay to work with?

So, in genetral.. Firstly I want to have 2 subtiltes one on top and the other on the bottom of screen and secondly, to have colored boxes around them...

someone told me it's possible with camstasia studio 6 .. i am not sure..

could you help me by providing step by step method.. otherwise, i'll be confused
    Quote Quote  
  11. Click image for larger version

Name:	2Subs.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2766
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Like I said, I don't use AviDemux, but it's easily done using VDub(Mod) (and also using AviDemux, I'm sure). Create the two sets of subs first with the styles you want, open 2 instances of the TextSub filter, and:
    I prefered to work with Avidemux.. but if no one is familiar with it..it's ok.I try to learn vobdub ...I just need someone tell me from the first step ...what to do? how to begin.. to come to the result like this image..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Look, I'm not going to explain something to someone that knows nothing at all about making subtitles or encoding video. I (and sambat) already told you what you need for an SSA subtitle file to be displayed as in the videos to which you pointed us. I even offered to do the work for you if given the subtitle files. No one's going to hold your hand all the way through. Have you even looked for guides to do this yet, ones like these:

https://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=&tools=2&madeby=&formatconversionselect=&ho...or+List+Guides

People are much more inclined to help if they see you've already researched and read, and just need help with something specific. Perhaps someone else has more patience. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux, using the .ssa filter, I have never been able to load an .ssa file (or .ass).
    This problem has been kicking around for years with either the response of 'it was a problem - but now it's fixed' or 'it isn't a problem'.
    Load the AVI into AviDemux then select an .ssa file via the filter and see if it previews.

If it doesn't and your determined to continue, download VirtualDub, the Subtitler plugin for VirtualDub and the XviD codec.
    Quote Quote  
  14. As i mentioned before , working with srt is impossible for me (at least in subtitle workshop 4) since it doesn't support some romanian characters such as "ş" .. so that means ssa to srt convertor won't work since the primary srt had this problem. I don't know if there is any other srt generator that can support those kind of characters?

Also.. I found this program on net ...http://www.sonic.com/products/Professional/edge/Lemony/

It seems it's possible to have 2 subtitles (one on top and one in the bottom) working this program ..not sure though
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Beats me, although Subtitle Workshop has settings on the left side of the window for various languages including 'East European'.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Subtitle workshop shows other language in its menu but it never supports some specific characters.. like "ş" in turkish.. you can try it yourself.. i saw alot of complaints regarding this while searching in google.

Lemony seems good and covers all theses problems but its too pricey .. i am not sure i go with that..
    maybe the best solution is to find a ssa generator and then use virtual dub... do you know any good ssa generator (software) which can be easy handled like the way subtile workshop works?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by farzad67 View Post
    maybe the best solution is to find a ssa generator and then use virtual dub... do you know any good ssa generator (software) which can be easy handled like the way subtile workshop works?
    Have you even tried clicking on the --> SSA <-- in any of the posts that mention it?

Also, you can convert SRT to SSA using SubResynch (included in the VobSub package), among other ways, and then set the styles by opening it in Notepad, as sambat partially explained.
    Last edited by manono; 24th Jul 2010 at 04:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Farzad67, maybe you should set you're preferred language for non-unicode programs to Turkish, and then subtitleworkshop should show the caracters corect.
    Go to "control panel/regional and language options/(tab)advanced" and select Turkish. Try it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I tried non unicode .still doesn't support that character. iit supports some but not all. and yes the way i write those characters is because i already set that language in control panel but for some reason subtitle workshop doesn't recognize that . so converting srt to ssa is useless since the orginial srt is not supporting the desied characters unless other srt program is offered . i faced several ssa programs but want to know which one is best and can be handled easily
    Last edited by farzad67; 24th Jul 2010 at 23:36.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Look, I'm not going to explain something to someone that knows nothing at all about making subtitles or encoding video. I (and sambat) already told you what you need for an SSA subtitle file to be displayed as in the videos to which you pointed us. I even offered to do the work for you if given the subtitle files. No one's going to hold your hand all the way through. Have you even looked for guides to do this yet, ones like these:

https://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=&tools=2&madeby=&formatconversionselect=&ho...or+List+Guides

People are much more inclined to help if they see you've already researched and read, and just need help with something specific. Perhaps someone else has more patience. Good luck.
    OMG!! I'm referenced! By manono ! that made me day.
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote