VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have a 2 yr old compaq presario cq50 w/vista, and i am trying to figure out what i need to connect it to my tv.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What inputs does your TV have? If your TV has VGA in, then you just need a cable. If not, a adapter could be used for conversion to S-video or composite. But the quality may be poor.

One example: http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp You would also need to run a audio cable to the TV. Probably from the headphone jack. (1/8" stereo phone plug to RCA stereo adapter cable)

That laptop appears to have a NVIDIA GeForce 8200M video card with only VGA output.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for the welcome! all my tvs are old (i've got a 27" that i cant even lift it's so big, have to roll it, lol). and this laptop is getting pretty old too. i think i may just hold off until i get a new laptop next month. any recomendations on a cheap laptop that has the tv-out capability?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lily083 View Post
    thanks for the welcome! all my tvs are old (i've got a 27" that i cant even lift it's so big, have to roll it, lol). and this laptop is getting pretty old too. i think i may just hold off until i get a new laptop next month. any recomendations on a cheap laptop that has the tv-out capability?
    Most of the low end HP/Compaq's have the NVidia display chipset with a 9 pin Din connector with composite, S-Video and analog component (SD/HD) outputs via a breakout cable. Not all models have this connector. Make sure you select a model with video out. Audio comes from the headphone jack.

Higher end models add HDMI for digital HD connection (with audio).

Other manufacturers have similar models.

The 9 pin video out connector and cable look like this

Last edited by edDV; 20th Jul 2010 at 18:29.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote