VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Intensity Shuttle. I have all minimum requirements and all updated softwares and drivers. I am using HDMI cables to connect the Shuttle to my TV/Xbox. I am also using the included Media Express software. My problem is that I can not get any video feed onto my computer (onto Media Express) with 1080p.

Also, I can not get any video on my TV when my Xbox HDTV settings are set to "1080p". It will be a blank screen. (When not using the Intensity Shuttle, I can use 1080p fine). However, when the settings are at "1080i", I will get a picture on my TV. I am confused because the Intensity Shuttle is supposed to support 1080p but it seems to only work with 1080i on my Xbox.

Can anyone help? I want to record Xbox 360 gameplay on Intensity Shuttle using HDMI in 1080p.

Thank you
    Last edited by remllik; 20th Jul 2010 at 05:34.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After doing some research I found out that Intensity Shuttle won't work with 1080p for Xbox. Apparently recording 1080p on Xbox 360 requires "1080p 60" which the Shuttle doesn't support. I'm not sure if that is a software limitation or a hardware limitation. Either way, my patience is up and I will be returning the Intensity Shuttle.

I would not recommend this product to anyone. Even if 1080p 60 is not your goal, you will have other problems. There are countless problems I've encountered in a single 24 hour time period, including my system not being able to detect Intensity Shuttle, not being able to download drivers, not being able to download Media Express, not being able to start Media Express, other software (flash media live) not being able to detect the Shittle, Media Express failing to work because of missing files (?), and more. And yes, my system exceeds all minimum requirements for the Intensity Shuttle as specified on the Blackmagic Designs website. Also the price is really not that good. $200 for this piece of plastic? If it was problem-free, then the price would be tolerable. But it's NOT problem free.

Also, while researching this product I've discovered that other people are having lots of problems with the Intensity Shuttle, so I am not alone.

Do not buy this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have it running fine, Does your motherboard have the x58 or p55 chipset? Did you udate your NEC USB drivers and firmware as described in the read me first doc? USB 3 is still new, If your running Windows 7, did you install all software as administrator? Don't give up just yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi guys. I've just got my new X58 chipset PC built today and am trying to set up my shuttle to record from my 360. Seemingly "Danny Hays" you have it working. If you are still on this forum (or if anyone else has one running) could you advise me as to my 360 and capture program setup so that I can get capturing as I am struggling a bit. I have gotten sound coming through into media express as I can tell by the two audio bars in the bottom right, but so far i have no video.

I dropped down to 1080i 60Hz as, like you said, the shuttle doesn't do 1080p 60Hz (yet), and set up the capture to 1080i 60fps. If anyone has any pointers on how to get the video through to the capture program i'd really appreciate it.
    I am in the UK so have switched the NTSC setting to 0 in the control panel as I record in PAL.

I will fiddle around in the mean time and edit if I get it sorted. This is the highest Shuttle/360 result on google so it will help others setting these up in the future too.

Cheers

Bob

Edit:
    Not sure if my sound is recording, it's either not or it's massively quiet. 60Hz equates to 59.94 fps settings, not 60fps, so that's the setting you need to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quick question? Why do you want to capture XBox360 at 1080p when that is an upscaled resolution for most games?

Most XBox360 games are native 1280x720p/60 or less. That resolution makes more sense for recording to me.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. I couldn't tell you, but I know that for me there does seem to be a difference in the look and the quality still, even if it's just a case of each pixel being more defined.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nanostronghold View Post
    I couldn't tell you, but I know that for me there does seem to be a difference in the look and the quality still, even if it's just a case of each pixel being more defined.
    Your HDTV will upscale 1280x720p to 1920x1080p in hardware. In most cases, much better hardware than the ATI Xenos that XBox360 uses.
    Last edited by edDV; 1st Sep 2010 at 17:28.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. The Intensity Pro/Shuttle is very picky when it comes to resolution/framerate. You will only see video if you set your capture software (including Media Express) to the EXACT same resolution as is coming from your video source.

In other words, if you're Xbox is using PAL instead of NTSC use 1080i50 instead of 60.

Also, even if you plan on using some other software to capture rather than the included Media Express, always test using Media Express first. This is because Media Express accesses the Intensity Pro/Shuttle hardware directly, bypassing the DirectShow driver, while nearly all other software uses the DirectShow driver to access the video stream. So if it doesn't work in Media Express, it won't work with anything else either.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nanostronghold, Have you got the Shuttle to capture anything yet? Need to know if it's working at all. If yes, I have been able to capture 1080i from my HDV camera, component out, with capture set to 1080 59.94. I captured 720 59.94p through the HDMI as well, with capture settings at 720p 59.94. I don't have an XBox 360, but I also heard of success with capture settings at 720 ? Can you tell what the output settings of the xbox are? they have to match the capture settings of the shuttle. If your trying with HDMI, set that as your input the Shuttle control panel, and try all the capture settings one at a time until you see video in Media Express. Make sure it working first with SD NTSC and composite in from a DVD or VCR, known SD composite source. Also there isn't much visable difference between 1080i and 720p on a mid to small HDTV except for the interlacing, which is very noticable. Let us know how it goes. I'll help if I can.
    Danny Hays
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi guys. I'll give you an update and also mention a new slight problem I am having, which I have messaged blackmagic about as well.
    I had been trying to record at 60fps when I was at 60Hz, so, as you said Danny, when I changed down to 59.97 i got it working. I have now captured footage at 1080i @59.97 and 720p @59.97. Here is a 30 second recording test in 1080i I did and stuck it on youtube to see how it would transfer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnBFylsU-Fk

I did find that, although audio was clearly being recorded, I couldn't get sound to play when previewing recordings in Media Express. This isn't a major problem except that I can't get sound to play in Adobe Premiere Pro either. I also can't get Adobe Premiere Pro set up to capture or play any of my recordings. Both recording and playback in PP stop after a couple of seconds. I can still export videos from Premiere Pro fine and they come out playable and with audio, but I cannot check the audio in the program and video editing will be a pain if I can't play more than 3 seconds of a video before it pauses.

I have also found that it is dropping frames. I may be wrong but it seems to be getting worse. After a couple of short test recordings whilst I was gauging the quality and stability of different recording types I recorded for 20 minutes in 1080i. The video looked perfectly smooth and i did not notice any signs of dropped frames (although I did not watch it all :P ). I continued to fiddle with settings et.c. to try and get file sizes down and testing different export file types. That 20 minute vid was about 45 gigs. I then decided to try recording in 720p: That recording instantly had issues. I could visibly see the video jumping and dropping frames every couple of seconds and causing the audio to go out of sync. I retried a couple of times and then decided to switch back to 1080i again to see if the same problem occured and it was noticably occuring there too.

As I said, my earlier 20 minute 1080i recording didn't seem to show any visual signs of dropped frames, but as I looked back at it, later on, the audio was very out of sync. I am not sure why exactly though. My computer isn't struggling as far as I can tell, CPU usage never exceeds around 45% and memory around 65%. I though that it could maybe be my Hard Drive transfer rate causing it, but, as the xbox 360 has no 30Hz option, and the settings have to match, I don't know if I can record at ~30fps instead. The blackmagic control panel offers plenty of recording down-processing from HD to SD but no option to down-sample a 1080i 60fps input to 1080i 30fps.

Again i don't know for sure what the cause of the dropped frames is, which is why i contacted blackmagic about it, but I found it odd that the Shuttle is more advanced than other PVRs and yet I am getting dropped frames and audio de-syncing in 720p, whilst other older devices like the Hauppage HDPVR seems to be able to handle 720p fine.

Sorry that's a long post, but i figured that more detail is better, especially if other people struggling to set up their shuttles stumble across this.

Any insight/advice/theories on any of that would be appreciated
    Quote Quote