VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to use FormatFactory to convert an MKV file to a WMV file. It works just fine, but for some reason the subtitles get added to the WMV file. Is there a way to turn that off? I have CCCP installed, in that that information helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wild guess, but I suspect that CCCP is combining the subs when decoding, so Format Factory sees the subs as part of the image. Go into CCCP's settings and turn off the subs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also in format factory you can select 0 for the subtitle index to ensure it isn't encoded in the settings window. Just make sure that they aren't hardcoded in the mkv. If they are hardcoded in the mkv you will not be able to remove them.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Go into CCCP's settings and turn off the subs.
    I can't find that option.

Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Also in format factory you can select 0 for the subtitle index to ensure it isn't encoded in the settings window. Just make sure that they aren't hardcoded in the mkv. If they are hardcoded in the mkv you will not be able to remove them.
    I tried setting it to 0, didn't work. And, they are not hardcoded, i am sure of it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If they are softsubs, take the subs out before you convert. Make a "new" mkv without subs with mkvtoolnix (uncheckmark the subtitles) => remux . Then convert that new subless mkv
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, just tried it. VLC shows no subtitles in the output, so it seems to work. I am running the conversion now.
    Do I lose any quality when I go through this process? It only took a few minutes, so it doesn't look like it did any transcoding.

EDIT: No luck. Format Factory only produced a file that's 1 minute, 5 seconds in length. Even though the output of mkvtoolnix seems to play fine.
    Last edited by PlayWithFire; 18th Jul 2010 at 16:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CCCP is mostly based on FFDShow, I believe. FFDShow has comprehensive settings under the start menu. Find the original files you installed and look for a readme or info.txt file. You are obviously missing something somewhere.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see something under FSFilter that says "hide subtitles", so I checked that box. I will try that tomorrow.
    At this time, I am running the conversion suing WinFF though. The portable option attracted me. It will probably be another 2 hours before it's done.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello!

I tried all the above, but it didnt work. But I noticed that in Format Factory I could change the font that would be put on the video, so I wondered if there was an invisible font with blank letters. This excist: http://www.angelfire.com/pr/pgpf/if.html. Download the invisible font and go to format factory. Select the file you want to convert and go to options (in the upper bar.) Options > Font > Set font to invisible.tff.

This worked for me, I hope it will work for other too
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are a good person.
    Dig up an old thread, figure out the solution and actually post the answer!
    Thanks!

I honestly don't even remember what I was trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I was having the problem with those stupid subs too, so i tried to find a solution through the net and so I come on this thread. A problem out 2010 can still be a problem for people in 2012 xD. I downloaded those programs and such but it didn't work so I hope I can save others from wasting their time and simply download a font and then the problem is fixed in less than 5 minutes (I spend quite some time on trying to get rid of those subs ><)
    Quote Quote