VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again.

I'm hoping someone here could recommend a decent model Blu-Ray player that offers playback of video files like AVI (Divx/Xvid), MP4 (AVC/h264), and MPEG 1/2 from USB/Hard drives...

I currently have a Sony BDP-560, which has none. Not to mention no support for NetFlix. Would anyone know if there will be a firmware update to add NetFlix to this model btw?

At least I got it cheap on sale...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about a firmware update. That might have to be handled by a physical security chip in the player itself.

As far as netflix players go I would start at netflix.com for a list of compatible players. I'm sure places like bestbuy can be searched by netflix compatibility as well.

As far as avchd most bluray players should be able to play it without a problem. You will be more hard pressed to find ones that do divx and mpeg files. As far as usb most will likely be limited to fat32 which has a 4gig file limit. Though I believe I saw someone mention a samsung player that does do ntfs.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Start with that link. There are listings for bluray players. Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. This years Sony models from the S370 up, allow you to play video from USB/HDD (fat32) and stream video from multiple sources. Only the CA models support AVI, DIVX! Each manufacture is different as to who they connect with for streaming video, Sony includes Netflix.
    Last edited by RJRobb; 18th Jul 2010 at 08:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Ps3?
    Yes it can do most of it - plus usb with the fat32 restriction. THough for both ps3 and 360 you need a netflix streaming disc in the player to activate it (of course the 360 does not do bluray - yet if ever).

But the ps3 is probably pricer than a given bluray player that can do most of what the user wants.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. 360 doesn't require a disk in the player for Netflix, but does require a Gl subscription = $. Wii must have a disk.
    Quote Quote