VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone

Well, I have Canon Legria HF20 and I must say that I am really happy with the results, BUT I would like to get more depth of field in my shots, so I am thinking to get DOF adapter. Any suggestions on this???

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Insomnior View Post
    BUT I would like to get more depth of field in my shots,
    ARGH!!!!

I get so frustrated at people saying this -- "I want more depth of field". Time for a little bit of teaching.

The first thing you need is to learn a little about what terms mean. "Depth of Field" refers to how much of the field of view is in (acceptable) focus. You don't want "more DoF", you want less. You already have almost everything in focus -- a result of the small sensors on consumer/prosumer equipment. You want a shallower DoF -- i.e. less DoF, not more. If you really want deeper focus (more DoF) all you have to do is stop the lens down. If you want shallower focus, and the lens is already wide open, that's when you need a DoF adapter, to get around the limits of the camera's sensor.

Don't know about that particular camera, but many have a program mode that keeps the lens wide open to keep the depth of field as shallow as possible. Are you taking advantage of that?
    Quote Quote