VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some FLV files that I cannot get to convert to any other format without the audio getting way out of synch. My tool of choice for doing this is TMPGEnc Express 4.0 but I have tried several different methods and they all yield the same results.

To make a long story short, what I think might be the root of the problem is that when I play back the file, the time counter on the player (ie. Windows Media Player) is not true to real time. For example, I started the clip in Windows Media Player and at the same time started a stop watch. After 1 minute according to the Windows Media Player counter, the stopwatch said just 57 seconds. If I let it play longer, both times get further and further apart.

Another thing that is odd is that Windows Media Player reports the framerate of the source files to be 59 fps. And MediaInfo reports it to be 59.94. Here is MediaInfo's output for one of these FLV files:

General
    Format : Flash Video
    File size : 404 MiB
    Duration : 1h 7mn
    Overall bit rate : 840 Kbps
    _framerate : 59.940
    _width : 640.000
    _height : 360.000
    _videocodecid : avc1
    _videodatarate : 750.000
    _videokeyframe_frequency : 30.000
    _audiocodecid : mp4a
    _audiosamplerate : 44100.000
    _audiochannels : 2.000
    _audiodatarate : 128.000

Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@3.1
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 360 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 4
    Format profile : LC
    Format settings, SBR : No
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits

Any help would be appreciated. I really would like to get these files to MPG-2 so I can convert to DVD. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try WinFF GUI (Option Menu ---> Additiona Option, and set desired parameters) or SGI Video Converter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks but I think I've figured out what the problem is.

MediaInfo says the 'Frame Rate Mode' is "Variable". Every other video file I've worked with and been successful at converting is "Constant" for the 'Frame Rate Mode'. To my very unexperienced thinking when it comes to video files, this difference would mean that the video frame rate varies constantly and so if you separate the audio from the video, there is no way to keep them in synch with one another.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can extract the timecodes eg. flvextract, then mux them into a new container . The timecodes tell the player to speed up or slow down. Not all container formats support VFR. mkv and mp4 do. I'm not sure how to make a VFR DVD (mpeg2-ps)

You can try to make it CFR with avisynth e.g.

DirectShowSource("video.flv", fps=59.94, convertfps=true)

You still have to do some other maniplations because your framerate and resolution isn't DVD compliant . e.g. you might resize to 720x480 if you live in NTSC land , and you might interlace it if you want a 60i DVD. Otherwise you could select every 2nd frame for a 30p DVD
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. I used flvextract to extract. Can you point me to anything that explains how to mux them into a new container?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by am_dew View Post
    Thanks. I used flvextract to extract. Can you point me to anything that explains how to mux them into a new container?

In case I wasn't clear above, this won't help you with making a DVD (as in DVD-video). You're just replacing a VFR FLV with a VFR MKV. Same problem.

If you wanted to make a VFR MKV , then you mux the timecodes in using mkvtoolnix. Highlight the video track, general track options tab, there is a box for timecodes
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks very much, but in taking a quick look at these tools you kindly suggested, I think I'll just live with the fact that I can't make a DVD out of this FLV file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Remuxing may cause video and audio out-sync problem, unless and until sync points indices map is created.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks to you both. It seems that the process of doing this is clearly not something just anyone can do with what I would call "consumer level" tools and knowledge, and as much as I'd like to try and figure it all out, I don't think it would be worth the time.
    Quote Quote