VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    How are you?

I have files that will not play in Windows Media Player. They will play in smplayer but I would like to get them to play in Windows Media Player.

1) I am running:
    Windows 7
    Windows Media Player 12.0.7600.16415

2) The error message in Windows Media Player reads: "Windows Media Player cannot play, burn, rip or sync the file because a required audio codec is not installed on your computer."

3) Gspot 2.70a lists the following information:
    CONTAINER
    File Type: ASF (WMA/WMV)
    Mime Type: video/x-ms-asf
    File Length Correct
    Sys Bitrate 450 kb/s

USER DATA/METADATA
    Aud Voxware MetaSound
    Aud ACS 48V2 48.1 kbps 22 Hz Stereo
    Vid Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2

AUDIO
    Codec 0x0075 (Voxware RT 29)
    Info: 0x01 22050Hz 48 kb/s tot (2 chnls)
    Status Undetermined

VIDEO
    Codec: MP42
    Name: S-Mpeg-4 version 2
    Codec Status Undetermined

I installed the following codecs that allowed Gspot to play it after pressing the MS/AV buttons twice:
    ffdshow_rev3452_20100524
    voxware_audio.zip (Voxware MetaSound Audio Codec 1.6.0.17)

But I still get the same error message in Windows Media Player when I play the file with either an .asf or .wmv extension

Is there a way to get Windows Media Player to use the combination of filters that Gspot and smplayer are using?

Gspot's Proposed solutions were:
    (A) 4cc:MP42 > (Mpeg4 Decoder DMO) mpg4decd.dll > (B) MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2 > (Video Renderer) quartz.dll
    (A) FmtTag: 0x0075 > (Voxware MetaSound Audio Decoder) voxmsdec.ax > (B) MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM > (Default DirectSound Device) quartz.dll

Please let me know if you need more info from Gspot. Or if there is a way to make changes using Gspot 2.70a.

Thank you in advance for your help. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

javaluvva
    "May the forceps be with you, Luke Warmwater."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the codec is not allowed in wmp. it's old, abandoned and contains a bad bug. your best bet is to convert the file to a newer codec. try avidemux and wmv video and audio for output. i would also remove the codec from your system after the conversion is done.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for replying so quickly. Unfortunately, avidemux does not recognize/support the audio codec. Do you know of any converters that would?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was able to convert them using AnyVideoConverter. Thanks. When you mentioned uninstalling the Codec; were you referring just to the Voxware audio codec or the ffdshow and ACS 48V2 codecs as well?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by javaluvva; 15th Jul 2010 at 22:00. Reason: Forgot to mention one codec
    Quote Quote