VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all! So, I am a complete amateur when it comes to working with video, whether it's authoring, capturing, converting, or what-have-you, but I'm working on slowly fixing that by first familiarizing myself with all of the requisite equipment involved, and by conducting a few "tests" along the way.

To start off with, I have a large ISO image file (about 4.5GB in size) of a movie, which I burned on a Memorex DVD-RW (4.7GB) using BurnAware Free, using the 'Burn Image' option. I then stuck the burned DVD into my home theater system (all Panasonic, bought from and installed by Best Buy), but the TV screen flashed 'Cannot Play' the DVD, as did the DVD player. Thinking that I had perhaps burned the ISO file incorrectly (hence why I chose to burn it on a DVD-RW in the first place), I next stuck the DVD back into my laptop (MacBook Pro, but I was using the Windows partition at the time), on which it played beautifully. However, not yet completely satisfied as to the quality of the burned DVD, I then took the DVD to my bedroom, where I have a smaller Vizio TV hooked up to a LG DVD player (TV bought here in the US; LG player bought abroad, in Asia). On this DVD player, the DVD also played, although it would continuously freeze and then move on every few seconds or so. Any ideas as to what may be going on wrong? Ultimately, I want the burned DVD to be able to play on the Panasonic system.

Additionally, while I was testing the burned DVD on the third system (i.e. Vizio + LG), I noted that the image quality on the 26" TV screen wasn't all that great, considering the size of the original ISO image file. On the other hand, I was using AV output, as my LG player isn't exactly top-of-the-line. (However, it does have one good point, which is that it'll play just about any DVD and CD, regardless of region, I suppose because it was bought in Asia.) Also, the DVD did not display such image quality issues on my laptop, although granted, my laptop does only have a 15" screen. Who should I blame for the image quality issues - the ISO file, or the LG player? And if the former, how do I make sure that the source file will translate nicely onto a larger screen than my laptop screen, besides looking at just the size of the file alone?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! And I also apologize if I've been mixing up all of my video terminology. I did say I'm only a complete amateur.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Valentin View Post

To start off with, I have a large ISO image file (about 4.5GB in size) of a movie, which I burned on a Memorex DVD-RW (4.7GB) using BurnAware Free, using the 'Burn Image' option.

I want the burned DVD to be able to play on the Panasonic system.
    i hv a similar problem on Toshiba and Sony player before. Eventually both gon bad and discarded.
    i guess, branded player looks for some manufacturer id# on DVD. Tries to read CSS or encrypted data.

only thing you can try, is to make iso file using imgburn from your already burnt Memorex DVD, and burn it back on another blank Memorex Media. Then try playing in Panasonic Player. Hopefully it will work.

if works, please post your comments here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Bonie81 - I am somewhat familiar with ImgBurn, as I had considered using it for my burning needs, although I ended up using BurnAware because it seemed like the simpler program to use. Could you tell me why your suggestion might work? It just seems unnecessarily complicated, to copy one burned DVD onto another blank DVD, when I still have the original ISO source file and could easily use ImgBurn to burn the file onto another blank DVD.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's the ISO file? Does it contain a properly-authored DVD?

When the DVD is in your computer, open it in Explorer - if it's a DVD-Video disc you should see VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. Anything other than that is not a DVD, and most likely is the reason it didn't play on the Panasonic DVD player.

If it is, you could re-burn the ISO with ImgBurn. ImgBurn has quite a good log file generation capability and will indicate any errors in the burning process (not all burning programs do). Also a good idea to verify the disc by checking the "Verify" check box - ImgBurn will compare what was burned to the disc with the original ISO.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Jim44 - I opened up the DVD, and it contains both AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files, so I think the ISO file is legitimate. In any case, I decided to burn another DVD with the same ISO file, but this time using ImgBurn. Again - no luck playing on the Panasonic player. Also, the ImgBurn log did not turn up any errors. I am thinking that this is perhaps a case of the DVD player only playing "proper" DVDs? Is there no work-around for this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Where are you....USA?
    ...and where did the DVD image come from?
    Quote Quote  
  7. hech54 - Yes, I am located in the USA. And the ISO file was downloaded, as I had wanted something to test with, but didn't yet (and still don't, really) have the knowledge to create ISO files of my own from my own DVD collection. If it helps, I think the source DVD was PAL?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    If it helps, I think the source DVD was PAL?
    What makes you think your American equipment is going to play PAL material when almost nobody else's does?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't get me wrong....you are new and don't know any better....but to sit here and see these ridiculous long-shot, almost irrelevant suggestions given to you just pisses me off.
    Quote Quote  
  10. hech54 - I did say I was an amateur. So, even ripped/downloaded PAL material when burned onto a blank DVD won't play on American equipment? I'm afraid I don't really know how all of these limitations are encoded or encrypted onto DVDs. I guess I figured that the ripping would somehow remove those restrictions. Thank you for telling me, though! I guess I'll go look for another dummy ISO file to test, then, one that isn't PAL, and that should work, then. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    hech54 - I did say I was an amateur. So, even ripped/downloaded PAL material when burned onto a blank DVD won't play on American equipment? I'm afraid I don't really know how all of these limitations are encoded or encrypted onto DVDs. I guess I figured that the ripping would somehow remove those restrictions. Thank you for telling me, though! I guess I'll go look for another dummy ISO file to test, then, one that isn't PAL, and that should work, then. Thanks again!
    Your choice of discs(Memorsux) could be a problem later on down the road. They are garbage....but that is not your present problem. ImgBurn is also the best burner available...but again that is not your present problem.
    You might get lucky and find a setting buried in the Panasonic's menu that will convert that PAL DVD "on the fly" to your NTSC equipment...but "the bigger they are - the harder they fall" as far as that player option goes. The big name players aren't easily messed with.
    Quote Quote  
  12. hech54 - I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I know I said that the ISO I downloaded was/is PAL. Out of curiosity, I looked up how to convert PAL to NTSC. (This is my version of a spotty education in video.) I think I'm confused now because there doesn't seem to be a clear distinction whether PAL/NTSC refers to video format or video region. If it's the former, then converting a PAL ISO to NTSC seems like one big hassle. However, if it's the latter, I've heard it said that burning the ISO will make the file region-free? Which should I believe is the "problem" with the ISO file that I unluckily downloaded?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Region Codes and Video Format(NTSC and PAL) are two completely different things. America's TV only recognize an NTSC signal(well....99% of them anyway). Home burned DVDs are region free. You burned a region free DVD and your player spit it out...now you know what the problem was....the dreaded PAL format video.
    Most players just play PAL DVDs badly(unrecognizable)...some like yours give you a message like you received(Cannot Play). Yours is somewhat unique but the end result is still the same...you'll need to watch that DVD on your computer(computers don't care about PAL and NTSC).
    Converting PAL to NTSC(on a computer) is either VERY difficult yielding mediocre results(quality) or fairly easy yielding terrible results....either way it is rarely recommended by many old-tilers around here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen a Coby DVD player (cheapest of the cheap) play a PAL DVD (of a movie that I could not find in the US, had to go to Australia) - because it was basically a dual-format player.

It would certainly not work in any Panasonic or Pioneer that I had.

I would've even had to change the region of my computer drive to see the thing.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  15. http://www.iwantvideo.tv
    Search Comp PM
    The PAL DVD will most likely not play for a few reasons. One, as mentioned above, it may have a region code that won't play on your DVD player. Two, if it is encoded for PAL, your player and/or TV most likely won't play the video. I would create a new DVD containing a very short piece of video, and try that. You may be doing everything perfectly, but it's just not an ideal ISO to try it with.

Ray The Video Guy - Host of 'I Want Video!' http://www.iwantvideo.tv
    Quote Quote  
  16. I had a problem playing a downloaded ISO image (AVCHD demo), burned with IMGburn, on a Panasonic Blu-ray player. It played fine on a Sony and another cheapo player.

I think maybe Panasonics in general are a little fussy in what they will play, and always have been IMO.

Also, from my (limited) knowledge of DVD players in the USA, they don't usually include PAL playback.

I think it's the Panny though!
    Quote Quote