VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when i try to convert srt to sup using subtitle creator ,I notice that the timing of the generated sup went off as it's increased. I don't know if I'm making a mistake somewhere or it's a bug in the program. i'm using version 2.3 rc1

any suggestions?

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think this is often a side effect of having 23.976 source video. When .srt is generated it doesn't take into account that the video is eventually going to play at 29.97. So as the video plays, the subs get more out of sync. You can fix it by hand using Subtitle Workshop 4. In the Edit Menu go to Timings, then Subtitle. You have to play the movie beforehand and get an idea when the last sub should be displayed, and change the value in the dialog.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply.

but I think I didn't give enough information. the srt sub is already in syn with the video. the timings get out of sync when I convert it to sup format using Subtitle Creator v2.3 and I don't get why is that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

You could:

1) use a different version of Subtitle Creator ;

or...

2) try other application(s) for converting .SRT to .SUP
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Subtitle Creator under "Formatting" you need to select PAL or NTSC as appropriate for your video. I think the default is PAL. It also has some tools under "Synchronise".

Read its manual.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As MilesAhead indicated it's still a problem with the movie timing. USA timing for movies is 23.976 and 29.76fps . Many subtitle programs auto default to 25fps. You need to make sure that the program sets the sup to the fps of the movie your using.

tony
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    [ null post ]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    I think this is often a side effect of having 23.976 source video. When .srt is generated it doesn't take into account that the video is eventually going to play at 29.97.
    No, this is wrong.

SRT subtitles are timed by the second, not the frame.

The 2:3 pulldown that is used to generate 29.97 from 23.976 fps by duplicating frames does not change the duration of the video, and has no effect at all on the speed of the audio and thus the subtitle timing.

The framerate only becomes relevant if there has been a rate conversion, as NTSC to PAL by speeding it up by 4%.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    I think this is often a side effect of having 23.976 source video. When .srt is generated it doesn't take into account that the video is eventually going to play at 29.97.
    No, this is wrong.

SRT subtitles are timed by the second, not the frame.

The 2:3 pulldown that is used to generate 29.97 from 23.976 fps by duplicating frames does not change the duration of the video, and has no effect at all on the speed of the audio and thus the subtitle timing.

The framerate only becomes relevant if there has been a rate conversion, as NTSC to PAL by speeding it up by 4%.
    Then perhaps you can solve the mystery why I have to retime .srt files created from PGS via BDSup2Sub? It seems invariant that I have to retime them when the source is 23.976.

What's the factor?

edit: btw it sounds reasonable what you are saying about the audio not going out of sync. It just seems strange that none of the .srt subs I create with DVDSubEdit are timed correctly. There has to be some factor that's causing an offset. If I export from BDSup2Sub and burn in the idx/sub using BD Rebuilder the timing is perfect.

It's not a simple delay as the timing seems to change as the film progresses.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 16th Jul 2010 at 16:59. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then perhaps you can solve the mystery why I have to retime .srt files created from PGS via BDSup2Sub? It seems invariant that I have to retime them when the source is 23.976.
    I don't know much about Blueray. However, they do support several different framerates, so if you're converting them to another format you may be also doing a framerate conversion, thus changing the speed. I think this includes 24 fps, so if that's being treated as 23.976 you would get a sync problem.

Regardless, there is no such issue with 23.976->29.97 using pulldown for DVD.

btw it sounds reasonable what you are saying about the audio not going out of sync. It just seems strange that none of the .srt subs I create with DVDSubEdit are timed correctly. There has to be some factor that's causing an offset. If I export from BDSup2Sub and burn in the idx/sub using BD Rebuilder the timing is perfect.

It's not a simple delay as the timing seems to change as the film progresses.
    I don't rip to SRT often; but when I do I use Subrip and edit and if necessary resync using Subtitle Workshop.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, if they're just off by a few seconds by the end (about 7 seconds for a 2 hour movie), then it's a 23.976/24fps 29.97/30fps drop-frame problem. If they're off by minutes by the end (about 4 minutes for a 100 minute movie), then it's a PAL<->NTSC 23.976/25fps problem. As AlanHK says, it's nothing to do with a 23.976/29.97fps problem as the lengths of both are identical.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't use Subtitle Creator to convert the subs so there must be some common thing that kicks in. Must be something in DVDSubEdit since that's what does the conversion. At least in my case.
    Quote Quote