VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So does the vlc lan player let you set up a upnp dlna server? (sorry if I got the abbreviations wrong).

Basically what I want to do is stream a series of flv files I have downloaded to either my xbox 360 or ps3 (doesn't matter which).

I have the latest versions of ps3 media server and tversity and they can stream some of my flv files but not all of them. I figure since vlc can player just about any file on the planet I should be able to use it to stream to the ps3 or 360. I just don't know how.

Is there a for dummies guide on setting up a upnp dlna server for the ps3 or 360 to read from the vlc player? Also can you set a playlist of a dozen or more files and load that? Does it have to be sequential in vlc? Or can you pick and choose from the receiving device (in my case a ps3 or 360)?

FYI I am wired to both systems so video quality shouldn't be hampered like it would be if I were wireless.

Suggestions are welcome.

And if there are any other freeware or low cost alternatives to ps3 media server and tversity that can stream ANY flv file I would like to know about it. My main goal here is to avoid converting countless flv clips to dvd or some other format. I've decided I'm better off streaming them.

Thanks in advance. I won't be able to respond until tomorrow night and I'll be interested in what you have to offer in this quest. Thanks again (and sorry if I didn't spell upnp or dlna appropriately - its the protocols for network media players).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On it's own, no. However PS3MS can use it as a transcoding/streaming engine. So far I haven't found anything that PS3MS can't handle, although there are certainly things that have to be transcoded rather than streamed.

Edit : Looks like VLC is limited to certain web stream aspects only, not all content.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    On it's own, no. However PS3MS can use it as a transcoding/streaming engine. So far I haven't found anything that PS3MS can't handle, although there are certainly things that have to be transcoded rather than streamed.

Edit : Looks like VLC is limited to certain web stream aspects only, not all content.
    Ok so in ps3ms I can designate vlc as an engine? Does that mean it will then play ANYTHING that vlc can?

ps3ms is a great piece of software. However as I mentioned earlier there are a few types of flv videos that I've downloaded that it can't play. The maddening thing about that is it shows a preview thumbnail and the picture is accurate. But when I go to play it it comes back as unsupported or corrupted data.

As a side item I do have windows media center and a xbox 360 as a receiving piece of hardware (both wired). Is there a flv plugin available for media center?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you get 'unsupported' if you transcode the same file ? I am also impressed by how well WMP under Windows 7 serves video. For some formats it does a much better job than PS3MS.

However if you only have a couple of vids it might be easier just to re-encode them
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it says unsupported. WMP won't even see the flvs in the streaming video tab on the ps3.

It is a small batch but I'll be acquiring more and it'll be the same issue.

I was looking for flv plugins for windows media center and found one for vlc for mce2005. However it does not work with Vista media center which is what I have.

I tried playflv but I was only able to access some of the flvs in wmc.

Is there a standalone flv video player that is designed to stream all flv videos?

A short term work around I'm trying is to play directly with mpchc. What I am working on is using my remote with a usb dongle that I have from a previous capture card and using the keyboard commands for the play buttons. It works more or less. However I can't always get it to stay active (divco fusion remote and dongle from the hdtv capture card - this is on a different computer though).

My only gripe about doing it this way is the highlight for the menu options is a very faint blue and isn't very obvious from a sitting distance in a living room environment.

I've tried gbpvr and it won't see all the flvs. Mythtv looks daunting for a windows vista install - unless there are "safe" installable files somewhere. Are there any htpc frontends that play all flvs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just wanted to post that I have a solution to nearly all my flvs that I want to stream. Its not 100% but I'm nearly there.

I can stream my hd flvs through tversity without a problem. It however does not play most of the sd ones that I've gotten off sites like youtube.

My solution ended up being to use two media servers. I downloaded PLAYON and it works! I don't really intend to use its pay service for streaming on the 360/ps3 but I may test it during my trial period. It offers free media streaming from your local pc. I loaded it up and IT WORKS!

The damndest thing is it does not play the high def flvs that tversity will. But it does play the sd ones from places like youtube. I still have run across one or two flvs that playon will not play. However I can live with that if that means I don't need to convert MOST of my flvs. If there are only a handful that will need to be converted to divx, wmv, or dvd or whatever that is not a problem. I know those will be able to stream once converted.

I just wanted to let people know how I resolved this nagging issue. Too bad I can't get just one media server for all my flv streaming needs. If anyone knows of one that streams ALL flvs please let me know. As for right now this is an acceptable solution. 90% playback on two media servers is more than acceptable. I simply use tversity for the hd flvs and playon for the rest.

Its nice to be able to bring this issue to a close - for now
    Quote Quote