VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I recently bought a movie which was just released on DVD (a 2010 release)... I wanted to rip a copy for my own personal back-up... In the past, my method was using DVD43 to get around the copyright protection, and then rip it with another popular program onto my Hard Drive... it seems as though maybe the movie industry has added some new elements in it's copyright protection because it would not copy and apparently was being blocked...

can anyone please tell me what the most up-to-date method is for hard-to-rip DVDs as to getting around the copyright protection?... I was told about a program called AnyDVD which is similar to DVD43 because it also works in the background while you use another program to actually abstract the video files to your Hard Drive... is this a more effective program than DVD43?... or maybe something else is better?... any other suggestions I would appreciate too... thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not me. I'll pass.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Not me. I'll pass.
    Ok, thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know if you have ever used a forum before, but most have a useful feature called 'stickies'. These are threads deemed so important, or that answer questions asked so frequently, that they are 'stuck' at the top of the foum so they are always easy to find. I strongly suggest you loo at the stickies at the top of this particular forum. The first one will give you all the information you need.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know if you have ever used a forum before, but most have a useful feature called 'stickies'. These are threads deemed so important, or that answer questions asked so frequently, that they are 'stuck' at the top of the foum so they are always easy to find. I strongly suggest you loo at the stickies at the top of this particular forum. The first one will give you all the information you need.

Ummm excuse me???... If I ever used a forum before?... please don't insult me guns1inger... not to be rude, but before you post a reply as such, don't you think that you should go look at the information first, which you are referring to me to look at?... I already looked through those, but apparently the stickies aren't helpful enough... the only Sticky which was close enough to help me was I can't rip with DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter... I read through all pages in that sticky, but if you were to go and read it yourself, you will notice that the most recent information posted in that thread was in February 2008...

that's not good enough for me because if the movie industry came out with other coding since then (which they more than likely have) to block the programs that are available to get around the copyrights to rip them, and the newest information on this forum (the stickies, for example) related to the thread that I posted, is 2 1/2 years old, then that information isn't going to be helpful, obviously... furthermore, that's why I posted the question to begin with... because the information that I already read on this forum wasn't helpful... but thanks for the reply anyway.
    Last edited by FullGrownNut; 8th Jul 2010 at 03:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not this again.
    RE: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322974-Ripping-Rental-DVDs

You missed the rules. Twice.
    And the stickies too.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Not this again.
    RE: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/322974-Ripping-Rental-DVDs

You missed the rules. Twice.
    And the stickies too.
    I'm not talking about ripping rentals this time Oh Mighty LordSmurf... I'm talking about ripping a movie that I bought for my own backup, which IS within the rules... so yeah, I missed the rules ONCE for your information... please don't try and twist things around...

and did you read what I wrote in reply to Mr. Guns1inger regarding the stickies?... the information in the stickies regarding this subject is WAY too old and out of date if you go check the information yourself... seems like everyone knows everything on here without referencing anything before trying to make others look like they're not doing any research themselves... pretty funny... but thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The information may have been written several years ago, but it's still accurate. Don't ask somebody a question, and then tell the answerer that they're wrong, when you've already admitted to not having any knowledge on the subject. Stop with the ridiculous "too old" mentality.

The forum rules are mentioned at registration, and again when you make posts. Twice.

I really don't care if you rip the DVD or not. You already made your intentions known in the closed thread. And I don't support that use of the tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's my personal opinion that threads like these are started as "bait". Bait...by professionals....looking to gather evidence of a website that is helping people break the law. The pros are always the most "combative"...you can spot them right away...at least I can anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The information may have been written several years ago, but it's still accurate. Don't ask somebody a question, and then tell the answerer that they're wrong, when you've already admitted to not having any knowledge on the subject.

The forum rules are mentioned at registration, and again when you make posts. Twice.

I really don't care if you rip the DVD or not.
    Dear Mighty LordSmurf... how do I know if information from TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO is still accurate if I don't ask any questions?... seems like everyone on this forum just wants to be jerks and not help people out... I mean come on, let's get real here... and I didn't say that they were WRONG, I said THE INFORMATION WAS OLD that they were referring me to go look at... so information that's old and out of date is usually going to be inaccurate, especially when you're dealing with a subject such as this... so don't go putting words in my mouth JUST like you accused me of violating the rules twice, and I didn't (just once, which I admit)...

and I didn't say that I didn't have any knowledge on the subject... you're putting words in my mouth for the third time... if you read my thread, I said that I have used DVD43 in the past for the copyright, along with another popular program to do the actual abstracting of the video files... so I do have SOME knowledge on the subject... all I'm saying is that I've recently tried to rip a newly released DVD using the same method, and it wasn't working like it has many times in the past for me... which means that obviously something has changed recently... all I'm asking for is up-to-date information, and everyone on here referring me to posts that has information which is two and a half years old, and is not what I'm looking for... so go ahead and keep putting words in my mouth and twisting things around.... EVERYTHING I have told you about the situation is 100% accurate so far, but all you can do is reply back with inacurrate sequence of events, and just twisting things around, but maybe that's just the way you do things on this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's my personal opinion that threads like these are started as "bait". Bait...by professionals....looking to gather evidence of a website that is helping people break the law. The pros are always the most "combative"...you can spot them right away...at least I can anyway.
    LMAO!!!!... well Hech, that's funny... thanks for giving me a laugh because I really need it after those other replies... no, I'm not a professional looking to book anyone into Federal prison, but I'll just take it as a compliment... lol... ok, this is starting to make sense now... I guess that's why I'm getting the replies that I'm getting, but I was under the impression that we were allowed to talk about such subjects if we were using the copies for our own personal back-ups... if we weren't, then there wouldn't be threads that go back several years still on this forum regarding this topic... if everyone is afraid to answer, then I'll just leave it at that... but thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, several of us old-timers have discussed this before, in private and in OT threads.
    It feels very much like bullshit.

And it's always the argumentative/obnoxious ones. I don't get it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, several of us old-timers have discussed this before, in private and in OT threads. It feels very much like bullshit. And it's always the argumentative/obnoxious ones. I don't get it.
    Lol! You guys are really starting to crack me up. What are you guys SO afraid of? And I'm obnoxious because everyone is twisting what I'm saying around, and doesn't want to help me?

And whenever I get on these forums, it's always the "Old-timers" who are the ones who have this same attitude, know everything, but give the least amount of help. I don't get it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FullGrownNut View Post

can anyone please tell me what the most up-to-date method is for hard-to-rip DVDs as to getting around the copyright protection?...
    I'm pretty sure the following has already been stated in the respective "stickies" or
    in other threads, but I think it's worth repeating it anyway:

if the most recent version of the "the most up-to-date method" doesn't work,
    you'll have to wait until "the most up-to-date method" itself gets updated.

¿ Absolutely, crystal-, -clear ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure the following has already been stated in the respective "stickies" or
    in other threads, but I think it's worth repeating it anyway:

if the most recent version of the "the most up-to-date method" doesn't work,
    you'll have to wait until "the most up-to-date method" itself gets updated.

¿ Absolutely, crystal-, -clear ?

Thanks El Heggunte... the FIRST normal reply I've gotten so far, without all the controversy and back-talk... makes sense, so I guess I'll just have to wait, and thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And I'm obnoxious because everyone is twisting what I'm saying around, and doesn't want to help me?
    Allow me to refresh your memory for you.
    I rented a movie from one of the $1/movie rental machines in my local supermarket, and decided to experiment and see if I could actually rip one of those
    Are you going to continue to insult our intelligence....or our ability to remember something that happened YESTERDAY!?

I was under the impression that we were allowed to talk about such subjects if we were using the copies for our own personal back-ups.
    Really? It certainly doesn't seem that way based on the post YOU made YESTERDAY.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Allow me to refresh your memory for you.
    I rented a movie from one of the $1/movie rental machines in my local supermarket, and decided to experiment and see if I could actually rip one of those
    Are you going to continue to insult our intelligence....or our ability to remember something that happened YESTERDAY!?

I was under the impression that we were allowed to talk about such subjects if we were using the copies for our own personal back-ups.
    Really? It certainly doesn't seem that way based on the post YOU made YESTERDAY.
    [/QUOTE]

Hi Hech, I am NOT trying to insult your intelligence at all, but I think you're trying to insult mine... but anyway, I'm not talking about the post I made YESTERDAY which violated the rules... that's a DIFFERENT POST and DIFFERENT situation... I'm talking about THIS post, which is a DIFFERENT situation... if you read it, it's regarding a movie that I bought (that's what my thread says here)... the details that I didn't write, which are really unnecessary to include, but I'll include it here since this situation has escalated to this point... but I liked the movie that I rented so much that I decided to go to my local Walmart and buy it... when I took it home to rip a copy for my own back-up, the DVD43 program apparently wasn't working to get around the copyright, like it has done in the past for me... so all I'm asking is if something has changed recently, and if there are any new methods to get around the copyrights...

but I understand that everyone is too afraid to answer the question on here, so I'll just leave it at that... didn't want to cause any problems, I guess I just started a thread on a very touchy subject that apparently is getting everyone weirded out on... but like I said, I'll just leave it at that... in addition, evidently there isn't any up-to-date information anyone has to help, so I guess I just have to wait... thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    my god google, this method is for backing up your personal dvd. use DVDFab HD Decrypter, it free and updates regularly. choose DVD9 to maintain most of its quality. it will rip the entire DVD to your hard drive. Then use DVD Shrink, to keep just the main title, under the compression tab, choose no compression or use automatic if you want to shrink it fit a regular DVD5.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    just read....
    DVD43Free is a small, free tool that integrates into Windows XP/2000/Vista and overrides DVD-Video copy-protection and DVD Region limitations. Try AnyDVD or DVDFab Decrypter if DVD43 wont work.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my god google, use DVDFab HD Decrypter, it free and updates regularly. choose DVD9 to maintain most of its quality. it will rip the entire DVD to your hard drive. Then use DVD Shrink, to keep just the main title, under the compression tab, choose no compression or use automatic if you want to shrink it fit a regular DVD5.

just read....
    DVD43Free is a small, free tool that integrates into Windows XP/2000/Vista and overrides DVD-Video copy-protection and DVD Region limitations. Try AnyDVD or DVDFab Decrypter if DVD43 wont work.
    Thanks Cowboy!... Sheeesh!... this is ALL I was asking for!... but everyone freaked out on on the question and thought I was trying to put them in jail... lol... I'll take your advice and try these... I'll try the AnyDVD since, like I mentioned in my thread, the DVD43 wasn't working... I still gotta get used to the DVD Decrypter since I've tried that in the past, but wasn't informed of the DVD Shrink to use in conjunction with it... it was a hard fight to get a straightforward answer on here, so I really appreciate your willingness to help me... so thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    my god google, use DVDFab HD Decrypter, it free and updates regularly. choose DVD9 to maintain most of its quality. it will rip the entire DVD to your hard drive. Then use DVD Shrink, to keep just the main title, under the compression tab, choose no compression or use automatic if you want to shrink it fit a regular DVD5.

just read....
    Thanks Cowboy!... Sheeesh!... this is ALL I was asking for!...
    The SECOND post of the sticky you were initially directed to said the same exact thing.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/224714-I-can-t-rip-with-DVD-Shrink-or-DVD-Decrypter...=1#post1305920
    NOW I'm insulting your intelligence.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Don't use ANYDVD, unless you want to pay lots of money. DVD Decrypter is not the same as DVDFab Decrypter, its outdated and if DVD43Free didn't work for you, chances are DVD Decrypter won't either.

I quoted the DVD43Free thread because it states the same as my advice, lol. Sorry to upset you hech54.

A lot of users are giving their free time and advice and some of these questions are so repetitive that it's easier to direct you to the stickies where this was discussed.

So to make it a little simpler, lol....

First, download and install DVDFab HD Decrypter. It will give you a trial version for all the other programs, but the only one that's free is the one that lets you rip the ENTIRE DVD to your hard drive. Set target size to DVD9 (so that it says 100%) This will maintain most all of its quality.

Second, download and install DVD Shrink. Re-author the DVD so that you just have the main title,you can either use the automatic method for encoding which shrinks it down to DVD5 standards. Or you can choose "No Compression" which will make a larger project size and bigger DVD5, but maintains the most quality.

Good luck,
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The SECOND post of the sticky you were initially directed to said the same exact thing.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/224714-I-can-t-rip-with-DVD-Shrink-or-DVD-Decrypter?p=1305920&viewfull=1#post1305920
    NOW I'm insulting your intelligence.
    True Hech, but the information is STILL old either way... I thanked Cowboy for his nice reply and willingness to help me, unlike everyone else on here... all I was asking for was someone to be civilized and give me a straightforward response, instead of acting like a jerk, like you still are doing... but I'll still give you the benefit of the doubt, and think that you're a nice guy... and by the way, maybe I am with the authorities, so you might have been right about that.... but thanks.
    Last edited by FullGrownNut; 8th Jul 2010 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I didn't read your previous question which is so wrong. You should ONLY do this with DVD's you OWNED. It's a way of backing up your DVD's so that the original are safe. It's not meant for those who go to RedBox and rent a DVD for $1.00 and basically have a FREE DVD.

I should learn to read and read everything in the thread first.
    Last edited by cowboyup910; 8th Jul 2010 at 08:35.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cowboyup910 View Post
    Don't use ANYDVD, unless you want to pay lots of money. DVD Decrypter is not the same as DVDFab Decrypter, its outdated and if DVD43Free didn't work for you, chances are DVD Decrypter won't either.

I quoted the DVD43Free thread because it states the same as my advice, lol. Sorry to upset you hech54.

A lot of users are giving their free time and advice and some of these questions are so repetitive that it's easier to direct you to the stickies where this was discussed.

So to make it a little simpler, lol....

First, download and install DVDFab HD Decrypter. It will give you a trial version for all the other programs, but the only one that's free is the one that lets you rip the ENTIRE DVD to your hard drive. Set target size to DVD9 (so that it says 100%) This will maintain most all of its quality.

Second, download and install DVD Shrink. Re-author the DVD so that you just have the main title,you can either use the automatic method for encoding which shrinks it down to DVD5 standards. Or you can choose "No Compression" which will make a larger project size and bigger DVD5, but maintains the most quality.

Good luck,
    Thanks again Cowboy, that's VERY helpful... yeah, I already installed DVDFab HD Decrypter and DVD Shrink right after you gave me the information... after doing a test with an old movie DVD that I had here (a short movie), I figured out exactly what you were saying in all of your other details about using the two programs interchangeably... I now abstracted the VOB and IFO files and resized (shrunk) them using the DVD Shrink... I'm going to try it on the movie that I bought yesterday too, so hopefully it will get by the copyright... I didn't want to start off with that as a test since the movie is three hours long...

I use Wondershare DVD Converter to convert all my video files to other formats, but even with 2.5GB or RAM, it seems to really bog down my computer, and it's hard for me to do other things while I'm running it... what program do you recommend to convert the VOB and IFO files to AVI or other formats most quickly, keeping good quality, and without draining your PC's resources?... thanks again for your help
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't read your previous question which is so wrong. You should ONLY do this with DVD's you OWNED. It's a way of backing up your DVD's so that the original are safe. It's not meant for those who go to RedBox and rental a DVD for $1.00 and basically have a FREE DVD.

I should learn to read and read everything in the thread first.
    Yes, I know that, and I won't do it again... I went out and bought the same movie after I rented it, and now I want to save a copy to my PC... it was not right of me to even have thought about doing that, but yeah, I only want to back-up what I own... thanks Cowboy!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    No MORE HELP from me. Why do you want to encode the video to another format? Are you planning on uploading the video online, so other's can steal your video too.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No MORE HELP from me. Why do you want to encode the video to another format? Are you planning on uploading the video online, so other's can steal your video too.
    Not at all!... I just like having the movies in AVI or WMV so that I can watch them on my PC whenever I feel without having to mess with any DVDs... I have an entire 250GB external hard drive dedicated to nothing but movies that I have made copies of them JUST so I can watch them on my pc whenever I feel... IN ADDITION, I also take the AVI or WMV files and convert them to MPG4 for my Blackberry... they now make a 32GB MicroSD card for the Blackberries, which I have recently upgraded to from my previous 16GB one... as you know, when they're converted to MPG4, they're MUCH smaller in size, and if I wanted to, I could hold almost 100 movies at a time on it with the new larger card, but I usually keep about 50 at a time in there... so yeah, this is NOT for uploading anything on the web, ONLY for my own personal use... sorry for any confusion on that, and thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by FullGrownNut; 8th Jul 2010 at 14:22.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Cowboy, I've heard a lot of good things about Handbreak... I'll have to check it out... thanks.
    Quote Quote