VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read thread on MKV files,but suffering from information overload.......

Basically,i have a mkv file 4.36 gig

its a blu ray rip of a movie, i was hoping to put this file on a portable HDD and watch via my ps3

but ideally keeping the blu ray quality (if you know what i mean)

So ending up with a nice selection of high quality movies on my HDD

As always,thanks for any advice

Pensioner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can either stream it and watch the stream, copy it to your PS3 HDD over the network (repackage it first - m2ts will do), re-encode it to fit on a FAT32 drive, or split it. MultiAVCHD can give you a format that will fit on a FAT32 drive and still playback on a PS3. Or you can re-encode and author for burning to DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    You can either stream it and watch the stream, copy it to your PS3 HDD over the network (repackage it first - m2ts will do), re-encode it to fit on a FAT32 drive, or split it. MultiAVCHD can give you a format that will fit on a FAT32 drive and still playback on a PS3. Or you can re-encode and author for burning to DVD.
    Guns1inger -

Concerning the streaming...I have a few Star Wars and Star Trek 1080P MKV's that a buddy created for me from my discs...They look, Play and sound awesome on my PC, however I also have them (or attempted to stream and play them) through my PS3, and although they did "Attempt" to play, they basically are stuttering messes whereas it's a complete waste of time in trying to view them on my HD TV...Any tips on fixes or corrections to this issue, or can you point me to a "Laymans" place where I can find out? If I can store them on my HDD in this format and play them on the PS3, I can basically put the discs away in the Vault where greedy little oily hands have no contact with them...
    Thanks
    rds1955
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Streaming wirelessly for 1080p is a no-go because the PS3 is knobbled by using the G standard and simply doesn't have the bandwidth. I have also found that H264 material doesn't always stream well over wireless regardless of bandwidth, although Win7 and WMP does a pretty good job - better than any other for this material. If you have a wired (ethernet) connection then you should be able to stream the material without any buffering, assuming you have your network set up correctly (possibly with some static routes and QoS enabled in your router).

You can use TSMuxer to repackage your material into m2ts files, which the PS3 can read. You can set a split size so that each part is smaller than 4GB. No re-encoding will be required for the video, however the PS3 will not read DTS audio except from AVCHD authored structures. MultiAVCHD can create these for you, and split files to fit a FAT32 system, but you will have to re-encode the video if it is not compliant.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guns1inger.
    Quote Quote