VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone

I`ve read few threads & post on this site related to this topic but cdnt find a satisfactory answer, so plz i`l b grateful if anyone can help me out. I know 100% copy protection is impossible uptill now, & hopefully it`l remain that way forever, but the thing is, i collected a lot of instructional videos, e-books, atlases, pics etc for academic purpose, and now that im about to graduate i thought this collection would be very helpfull to my peers n juniors, so i intend to make copies n sell them for a small price, but the only problem is that only a few would buy & the rest would copy all the files from them, i want to know if there is some way i can put a simple sort of lock on the dvds i make, which would restrict just the the copy/paste function, so the students would prefer buying a copy from me insted of trying to find how to by-pass the error, most students are novices in computer skills at my university (im in med school) so just a simple lock will be enough.
    Please help

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Imran87,

#1 - You can't copy protect a DVD in any meaningful kind of way.

#2 - Even if you could, you probably don't have the rights to resell any of that material.

You might get away with a 'donation' type of thing asking for a buck for time/materials. At that price, you might as well provide it for free as simple good will.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/

3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So you want to keep other people from making copies of work you copied from other sources so you can make money on it ?

LMFAO!!!!

Search Comp PM
    Even if those students are "novice" when it comes to computers/DVD Ripping, all it would take is to Google "Ripping a DVD" to get them started.
    It Started In Texas

5. If it can be played, it can be copied.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.

Search Comp PM
    Sounds like it is a data dvd. You could use a free encryption program to encrypt the data first, then sell the keys, or rar compression with a password. Of course you still have the same problem - once the key or password is out in the open, it is out of your control.

Frankly, if you don't own the rights, you shouldn't be selling it.
    Read my blog here.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you could do two things:
    1) buy one of my dvd chastity belts, it's a chain with a lock that goes through the hole

2) you could write on it that it's "gigli" starring ben affleck and jennifer lopez and nobody would want to copy it
    member since 1843

8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	83511451.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2549Name:  padlock-cd.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  87.1 KBName:  10160580.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  28.6 KB

This never fails!!!

Search Comp PM
    I have to make on of those for real someday.

Drilling holes through DVD-R isn't easy, they tend to shatter. And then the dye leaks out. Nasty metallic stuff stains your finger purple. Toxic, too, I believe. Oxidizes most of the platter, too. I did that about 5 years ago, for some tests. Failed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

10. Turn your dvd over & where there is no data make a big long scratch. Always wondered if that would work. Cause it should play just from reading the data but not copy?

11. Member
    Search PM
    I'd just like to say how pathetic and hypocritical this request is...it's almost as bad as selling bottles of water.

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Noahtuck & others with the same thing in mind
    bro i`ve collected this stuff for the last 5 years, almost all of it is available free on the internet, but it took alot of time seperating stuff which would be usefull & thats what im charging for, 100rs per dvd, thats less than 10cents i guess...just a nominal price!
    And a little secret..Im from Pakistan...tada!! rights dont mean squat here, so skip this inhibitory thought & let me know if there is a way to do what i want
    Somthing to block the copy/paste function, or even if can be copied, it requires the dvd to be inserted for it to be played, now even i know how to by-pass that but the rest dont, so c`mon people, help out!
    Btw, the gigli thing could work

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Care to explain how that is greymalkin?

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you`re lucky enough to have clean water at your home, thank God & dont buy bottles grey dude.
    Now i would appreciate a solution to the question, but if you want to lecture on morality, start in front of a mirror!

15. Stop blowing people up!

16. Member
    Search PM
    I'm starting with the maaan in..the mirror...I'm asking him to chaange his waaaaaaays.

Search PM
    In the interest of keeping this thread from spiraling into flames and then getting locked, I'll try to make this simple.

NO. THERE IS NO WAY TO DO IT. EVEN HOLLYWOOD CAN'T DO IT.

If you give them the lock (disc with encryption) and you give them the key (decryption key, decrypting player, etc), they've got all they need. If you give them the lock without the key, they can't use it at all, and is worthless to them (and you, because you won't be able to sell it).

Stop wasting people's time. read the MANY threads on this subject.

Scott

18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Stop wasting people's time. read the MANY threads on this subject.

Scott
    I think he did, he just did not like the answer.....

Originally Posted by Imran87 View Post
    Hello everyone

I`ve read few threads & post on this site related to this topic but cdnt find a satisfactory answer,

19. bro i`ve collected this stuff for the last 5 years, almost all of it is available free on the internet, but it took alot of time seperating stuff which would be usefull & thats what im charging for, 100rs per dvd, thats less than 10cents i guess...just a nominal price!
    Doesn't matter.....you still dont have the right to sell it. Just give it away free like the people you took it from.

And a little secret..Im from Pakistan...tada!! rights dont mean squat here, so skip this inhibitory thought & let me know if there is a way to do what i want
    Yeah....how do RIGHTS have any place in a civilized society??

Anyways.....wasn't there a method to make a small scratch on the inner part of discs that enabled the disc unreadable to Rippers. Really stupid method but I heard it worked.

Search PM
    videopoo,
    problem with scratch method is it's hit or miss. Too little, it's still readable/rip-able, too much, it's not playable at all. That dividing line also depends on the player, so isn't reliable for distribution. That, plus you have to apply this "feature" to EACH disc manually. Ugh!

The OP doesn't respect the "rights" of the originators of all that material, but expects others to respect his "rights" of assembly & redistribution - that's laughable!

21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    To all posters: Please keep political and personal comments out of this thread. That is in our rules.

To the OP: If you wish to offer a compilation of freeware programs and properly credit the original authors and they are agreeable, then you can charge a small compensatory fee for your time used to create the compilation, along with material costs. The legality of this depends on your location.

For keeping it from being copied, just about impossible. What I've seen suggested is to take fee orders in advance and when you have covered your costs, send out the CDs of your files. Not many other simple ways I am aware of to insure you are compensated.

Or you can just distribute your compilation without any useless copy protections and hope that not all users will distribute it for free and you will cover your costs.

22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    To all posters: Please keep political and personal comments out of this thread. That is in our rules.

To the OP: If you wish to offer a compilation of freeware programs and properly credit the original authors and they are agreeable, then you can charge a small compensatory fee for your time used to create the compilation, along with material costs. The legality of this depends on your location.

For keeping it from being copied, just about impossible. What I've seen suggested is to take fee orders in advance and when you have covered your costs, send out the CDs of your files. Not many other simple ways I am aware of to insure you are compensated.

Or you can just distribute your compilation without any useless copy protections and hope that not all users will distribute it for free and you will cover your costs.

This is your best option, get payments in advance, but this is still so wrong. Your time is worth nothing.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didnt read all the threads, someone posted the exact question elsewhere but everyone just went on & on about rights, well you people have piracy laws, but im certain there is harldy anyone out there who has not broken those laws already! thats what i meant by the mirror comment, noahtuck seems too thick to understand!
    We dont have those laws here, mostly because they are not foolproof, so no big deal.
    I`ve explaind that i only intend to charge for the time and little cost of burning the dvd thats all.
    And refrain from political and/or religious comments people, dont mean to offend anyone but knowledge on these is very limited in the USA, seriously!

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL treetops, stay inside your border, no one gets hurt! thats the golden rule, but you meddling kids dont understand

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ofcourse we could go on a different forum and discuss rights & politics, i didint come here for that.
    If anyone can enlighten me on the scratching the dvd thing, i`ll be really appreciative.

26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I understand you are a DIP$H!T!!!!
    LOL!!!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    In the interest of keeping this thread from spiraling into flames and then getting locked, I'll try to make this simple.

NO. THERE IS NO WAY TO DO IT. EVEN HOLLYWOOD CAN'T DO IT.
    You missed the part where it's a data disk, not a video DVD.

So there are certainly ways to encrypt the data and lock it down if you force the user to go through an application you provide on the DVD, using the DVD as a dongle, as some games do. Or one that "calls home" to your server before allowing access.
    And if it were successful, it would be incredibly annoying to the user who wanted to use or install the applications.

But it's not a trivial problem, and I doubt anyone here can help with this.

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ricky1756 wrote,

2) you could write on it that it's "gigli" starring ben affleck and jennifer lopez and nobody would want to copy it
    LMFAO..best advise I heard so far...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I have to make on of those for real someday.

Drilling holes through DVD-R isn't easy, they tend to shatter. And then the dye leaks out. Nasty metallic stuff stains your finger purple. Toxic, too, I believe. Oxidizes most of the platter, too. I did that about 5 years ago, for some tests. Failed.
    But, nobody could copy it, right?
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very mature & very predictive noahtuck
    Thanks for the idea alanHK, i`ll look it up