VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I've read just about every comment on replacing this DVD Drive, now I want to replace mine. I have a hacked machine, which of course removes the macrovision, etc. If I replace the drive, I have to find a new hack. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a DVD Drive (DVD+R/W) (Lite-On) (IDE Interface) that is easy to install (fits the machine well) as well as easy to be hacked? I still have VHS tapes that I need to put on DVD.
    Last edited by V Bot; 5th Jul 2010 at 14:31.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  2. The only concern you should have with the drive depends on whether you care to have a region free machine. If you want to be able to change regions, you will need an RPC1 drive. Check rpc1.org for firmware and drives, but don't expect to find any recent drives. As for easy fit, that's an even taller order. Only once I saw a drive that was a drop in fit for a set top machine. That was a Raite 8x drive that I suspect started out as a loader and was made to fit in PC's. Any drive can be made to fit, a few shims, some hot glue and you're done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hell, yeah. I'm going to go with a Lite-On iHAP122-04. I saw a firmware update for a iHAP 122 on rpc1.org, hoping it will work for the iHAP122-04. I guess I'm more concerned about the Macrovision rather than the region. Need to be able to do store bought VHS titles.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a list of drives that are known to work as replacement burners at http://club.myce.com/f102/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/. Unfortunately all these drives are discontinued models that a difficult to find. The LiteOn models up to DH-20A4P will fit, and the one you're considering may or may not fit or work. You could probably Google search to find dimensions to be sure. FYI Sony models that are rebadged LiteOns have same dimensions and also work as replacement burners.

The firmware of the burner has no effect on Macrovision, and you should be good to go concerning Macrovision as long as you don't flash the recorder firmware to a later version. FYI you should connect the replacement burner to a computer, play a DVD in it which sets the region and set the drive to Master before placing in the recorder. You might also want to update firmware while connected to computer as this will not be possible once placed in the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so if I were to play a Region 0 DVD, would my burner be set to Region 0 ? Making it Region free or is that not the same? My guess is no, but I have to ask. Or would that be too easy, so no? Maybe I'll have to look into Sony brand Burners. I had a Lite-On in one of my PCs and it lasted a good long time. I just thought since the original was a Lite-On, that I would be safe to go with the same.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't believe there's such a thing as a region 0 DVD. If you want to make it region free, probably the best option is to use the region free tool at http://club.myce.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-januar...-2007-a-83441/ while connected to the computer. The LiteOn tools should work on LiteOn rebadges including Sony rebadges. FYI the Sony DRU-190A (aka AD-7190A) is the last Sony that's a LiteOn rebadge if memory serves, and it's one of the discontinued models that may be hard to find. Nothing wrong with staying with LiteOn, but I've not seen any posts for models later than DH-20A4P as replacement burners.
    Quote Quote