VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some time ago I burned a Emtec DVD-R data disk. Although my LG standalone DVD player can read and play it perfectly, the computer canīt read the disk, thereīs only empty space in windows explorer. What may be wrong??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your computer drive may need a firmware update to see the disc content
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Your computer drive may need a firmware update to see the disc content
    It was updated no long ago.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Have not used Emtec , but
    I should think that explorer would read the files
    It may be that the computer does not recognize the file format.
    Have you used Emtec before, on this computer without problems
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Might have to use another dvd reader because some readers have problems with certain discs.My lg dvd burner won't read dvdrw burned by my dvd recorder but my samsung burner reads them no problem.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of Windows, which burner do you have, and does the burner recognize files on media other than DVD-R?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Iīve burned thousands of Emtec DVDs, never got a problem. Ans yes my burner recognizes everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Resolution: EMTEC aka BASF DVD media is kinda crap since a long time now.

Via standalones recorded DVD s use VR mode in just all cases, so without VR suitable software installed or proper VR drivers installed your computer drive NEVER will be able to read the dvd content! It's not a question or sessions or fixation or not, the only question is: Video mode or VR mode?!?
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Agreed. Emtec discs are garbage sold in grocery stores and gas stations here in Europe.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by '[_chef_
    so without VR suitable software installed or proper VR drivers installed your computer drive NEVER will be able to read the dvd content! It's not a question or sessions or fixation or not, the only question is: Video mode or VR mode?!?
    Not true ... neither the drive or windows needs to understand VR ... this is simply a case that the unit used as the reader is having difficulties reading the disc ... this is due to two reasons.

1: If the disc is not a RW type then ensure the disc has been finalized in the recorder, then try again in the pc after.

====

Batch's of media can contain small variations in media manufacturing process which can lead to disc's being harder to read ... switch to well known brands helps reduce this.

====

2: Disc confirmed as being finalized.

Disconnecting the data cable from the unit used as the reader and reconnect ... sometimes the issue is a data cable slowly failing. If still unresolved then try another unit as the reader ... if this works then the original drive has an issue even though it still read's older discs.

Recommend in this case to keep the older unit as a fall back reader for older discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bjs,

you throw 3 new things into the ring, 1st unfinalized discs, 2nd RW discs, and 3rd an OS question.

I think both were no really into the OP question.

I'm sure I didnt write BS about VR...
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote