VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a SONY VP-7040 umatic 3/4" video tape player that plays SECAM, PAL, or NTSC 4.43 (NTSC-J) tapes. However, I need to play NTSC 3.58 (NTSC-M) recorded tapes.

As expected, the video image colors are in error, black and white, distorted color. The SONY VP-7040 is designed to play back NTSC tapes using the 4.43MHz color subcarrier frequency. The tapes I have are recorded in the USA using the standard NTSC 3.58MHz color subcarrier frequency.

Can I use something like a time base corrector to process the video after the VP-7040 to get the correct video?

I am not sure is the color subcarrier frequency is recorded on tape or does it appear only in the external NTSC signal?

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, a TBC won't help. You need an NTSC 3.58 U-Matic player. Most pro dub facilities will have one.

U-Matic like Betamax and VHS is a color under format. The modulated 3.58 MHz subcarrier is down converted to below 1 MHz for recording to tape and then upconverted during playback.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I now purchased a NTSC 3.58 U-Matic player (a Sony VP-7020) from Ebay. Everyone is dumping their old U-Matic machines, it's a format that is on it's way into history it seems.

Now I have to sell my VP-7040.
    Quote Quote