VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pinnacle 14 had suddenly stopped recognising my Canon HV20 in the inport window. Has anybody had this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Faulty cable? Fried Firewire port on the camcorder? Have you tried it with something like WinDV? When you connect the camcorder do you get a message in Windows to say that it's found it? Does it work on another computer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV for DV format

HDVsplit for HDV (MPegTS) format
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Richard
    I have tried other cables with no success. Also other computer with same reesult. Don't get a message dfrom windows to say camera is detected. I'm am suspecting the camera port is at fault. How could have "fried" it?
    Have yet to use winDV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Despite the fact that we were lead to believe firewire was hot-pluggable, many camera manufacturers (including Canon) strongly suggest or even state outright that their cameras should only be attached when both the camera and the PC are turned off. According to them, plugging the camera in when either the camera, the PC or both are on can fry the port.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Despite the fact that we were lead to believe firewire was hot-pluggable, many camera manufacturers (including Canon) strongly suggest or even state outright that their cameras should only be attached when both the camera and the PC are turned off. According to them, plugging the camera in when either the camera, the PC or both are on can fry the port.

bullcrap. more old wives tales. from the latest canon hv40 manual. specifically states to turn both devices on first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-05_104033.jpg
Views:	1536
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	2541
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your contributions. I have now tried WinDV and HDV Split with different computers and cables all to no avail. Have come to the conclusion the DV port in the camera is at fault.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnwc View Post
    Thank you all for your contributions. I have now tried WinDV and HDV Split with different computers and cables all to no avail. Have come to the conclusion the DV port in the camera is at fault.
    Try the camcorder on a different computer.

Keep in mind that the camera format (e.g. DV, DV wide, HDV) is a separaate issue from setting the IEEE-1394 transfer mode whic can be

DV fixed (HDV will be downscaled)
    HDV
    Auto DV/HDV

Sometimes you need to lock the format to DV or HDV.

I went through detail settings for the HV20/30 in this thread
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/298965-Cannot-capture-HDV-with-Canon-HV30
    Last edited by edDV; 6th Jul 2010 at 03:58.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    to add a little thing more you can try. before plugging in the camera, put it in play mode. play the tape until it gets to where your video starts, pause it, then plug in the cam. if the tape has been used for both DVavi and HDV at different times, the camera may be on the wrong mode until it starts playing the new video.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote