VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am wanting to convert some MKV files I have (they are 720p, 1.45 GB each) to AVI files that are around 5-600 MB. Is it possible for me to do this, also I have been using the program Format Factory to do this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Format factory can do that. Lower the bitrate for lower file size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your probably going to want to lower the frame size as well as the bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your probably going to want to lower the frame size as well as the bitrate.
    Fyi of course that will lose the hd res. But if the intended destination is likely a portable device than hd res is overkill anyway - unless its for a newer gen like ipad (seudo hd) or zune hd or whatever.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's not likely he can reduce the bitrate to 1/3 of the source and keep the frame size without serious degradation of quality. Of course, it depends on the nature of the video and codecs used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's not likely he can reduce the bitrate to 1/3 of the source and keep the frame size without serious degradation of quality. Of course, it depends on the nature of the video and codecs used.
    Understood. Just wanted to state the obvious first. Also it depends on the screen size as I mentioned. Hd isn't needed for most portable devices but if its for tv viewing than you have decide if smaller file size is worth it to lose the resolution upon conversion.

Also it is likely the user is trying to convert the mkv so it can be played on a device that can't do mkv natively. If so they should try something like mkv2vob if they have a ps3. Of course STREAMING would probably be best if the tv is the destination and they are wired to a computer than can do hd video.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote