VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed AviDemux in both Window XP and Ubuntu 10.04 attepmting to open, edit and convert MP4 clips captured with a Flip video camera. In windows as soon as I browse to the folder with the Mp4 files using Avidemux "File Open" the AviDemux closed without error, just dissappeared off the screen. This happens over and over with all MP4 videos which open fine in Flip and Nero. If in Windows I right click and use "Open With" and choose Avidemux I do get a warning "H.264 detected, B Frames are used as a reference that can lead to a crash or shuttering - Can use another mode but may lead to frame shuttering" than if fails to open the file. Does AviDemux support MP4?

In Ubuntu I can open the files and edit and when I save a MPEG but no other video editing program will open them as they are unrecognised format. AviDemux creates files with a format that nothing will recognise.

I Am at a loss to understand why this software does notsupport MP4 in eithewr Windows or Linux and appears useless.

Can you suggest any steps to troubleshoot this problem.

I noticed on CNET reviews many other prople reported the issue of files complied that could not be opened in any other program so i am not the 1st to encounter this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Suggest you post the log from MediaInfo of one of the files so that all the details of the file are available. For waht it's worth I can open my MP4 files in AviDemux without issue - I get a warning that H264 is detected and then opens ok. First a green screen withing the preview monitor and then scrolls along ok - although the aspect ratio is wrong. I haven't needed to use AviDemux on any of my MP4's so haven't investigated it beyond opening and scrolling..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I notices in Windows that i get different results if I go to the file and use Open With, then i can choose AviDemux and get the warning about B Frames and open in Safe Mode and save OK to AVI format. If I choose MPEG format i get a file that no program recognises. I use Video ReDo to trim files and it reads TS streams and MPG formats and gives my the best cutting interface but with AVI format I have to use Movie Maker or other less functional programs. Nero reads MP$ OK bbut can only save to VOB as when I chose Export it immediately crashes.

The point is AviDemux seems to be very flaky. For example in Ubuntu it can open MP4 and save a MPEG file and it cannot itself open its own creation. Essentially I want to convert my MP4 to MPg just to use a better cut and join interface and resave as a single MPG stream.

I can't be the 1st to have encountered this problem.

Why give a file format as an option if it canot open it own files?

What does it create when you chose MPEG and what is the IDX files it also creates about?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As well as posting the mediainfo (already requested), do you have any problems if you navigate to the
    folder containing these files (in Windows Explorer) and select thumbnail view?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a mediaInfo log so we can see what's going on - you seem to be asking several questions all mixed up in the one post - maybe if you restrict your question to one item at a time would be helpful and more clear.
    In backwards order - idx is a subtitle format

MP4 and compressed avi's, xvid's etc are not the ideal format for editing due to the compression used to produce small files.

For frame accurate editing you really need to have uncompressed avi's or MPEG2.

Re MPEG TS files (probably from DVB TV sources) should really be demuxed first in ProjectX to eliminate transmission errors and give you a clean audio and video and subtitle track - see my signature for a Wiki on setting up ProjectX for Australian conditions.

One cannot really complain about free programs like Avidemux if they don't do what you perceive they should do - read the authors page and communicate directly with him on your suggestions, critique of his program.

Do some study on file formats and their advantages and disadvantages. The ideal video editing format is where there is an analog to 35mm film ie the equivalent of actual frames - this is certainly not present in MP4 or indeed MPEG2 (but in the case of MPEG2 there are now frame accurate editors like Womble, Vegas Final cut Pro etc)
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Netmask56

Thank you for your good advice about accurate editing. The files I need to trim and join were created on the Flip camera saved as MP4 so there is nothing i can do about the format. if it was captured in TS of MPG VideoReDo would trim and join in a jiffy.

You say post MediaInfo like I should automatically know what this means.

I downloaded MediaInfo and installed it and it showed that my System supported MP4 however suggested i get Quicktime update (7.66.71.0) which I also installed. This seemed to allow AviDemux to open MP4 files without error which is a major step forward in Windows.

Now if I try to trim a MP3 file and save as MPEG video and still end up with a file that I cannot open in any application that normally reads MPEG files just like in Ubuntu. AviDemux does not give the file any extension so I add .MPG which makes no difference.

What format do you recommend I save to and why does the MPEG files that AviDemux appear corrupt and completely useless?
    Using Media Info if I open the MPG file I created it tells me nothing about the file except its path and size. You have not explained how I creat or post a log? A log of what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The reference to MediaInfo was to get you to get the program if you didn't already have it and then run it and post the log file of one of your files - then the good folk here would be in a better position to provide some help. It's a pretty basic request for any problems with video and audio files, another program that is similar is GSpot. Now that the you have revealed the source of the files then there is a possibly solution by using MP4Cam2AVI and converting to uncompressed avi. You can load this converted file into VirtualDub to do the trimming and joining etc

A typical MediaInfo log (from my Sanyo MP4 camera)

Code:
    General
    Complete name                    : N:\SoftwareBackUps\SanyoCamera\HD1080iFiles\SANY0016.MP4
    Format                           : MPEG-4
    Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                         : mp42
    File size                        : 23.7 MiB
    Duration                         : 16s 449ms
    Overall bit rate                 : 12.1 Mbps
    Movie name/More                  : SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA HD1000
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2008-05-04 17:53:17
    Tagged date                      : UTC 2008-05-04 17:53:17
    Origin                           : Digital Camera

Video
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC           : No
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames
    Codec ID                         : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration                         : 16s 449ms
    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Bit rate                         : 11.8 Mbps
    Width                            : 1 920 pixels
    Height                           : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                  : Constant
    Frame rate                       : 59.940 fps
    Color space                      : YUV
    Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.095
    Stream size                      : 23.2 MiB (98%)
    Language                         : English

Audio
    ID                               : 2
    Format                           : AAC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version                   : Version 4
    Format profile                   : LC
    Format settings, SBR             : No
    Codec ID                         : 40
    Duration                         : 16s 448ms
    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                 : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Channel positions                : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Stream size                      : 256 KiB (1%)
    Language                         : English
    Quote Quote