VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using PowerDirector 8 Ultra to produce HD video from a Sony HDR-XR550VE camcorder. The editing software can output h.264 format to a file. Am I correct in thinking that I could if required archive the files created to a DVD without subsequent loss in image quality. I know I can't 'play' the saved footage (at top quality) but if these files were loaded back onto a HDD one could either play them on a HDTV using say a Western Digital TV HD 1080p Media Player (via USB) or else write content to a Blu-Ray disc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can play them from DVD5/9 media, from a blu-ray player or ps3, if they are authored correctly. A free tool to do this is multiavchd

You lose some quality by exporting from power director (generation loss), because at least some parts are re-encoded.

If you really meant "archive" as in the original format & quality, you could take your original clips and use multiavchd

If you make a plain old data disc (not authored) , it won't play on a blu-ray player or ps3 , but you could recover the data on a PC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info - much appreciated
    Quote Quote