VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm not an expert by any means but it seems that the more I think I know the more I find that I don;t know squat. Case in point is the number of "container" types. I thought that simply looking at the file extension you've got it nailed, but par-dem-wha! Not the case. A stated .AVI can contain variations of the digitized video stream. I have used GSpot for trying to recognize these issues but it has become a bit confusing. In taking this information and trying to match up codec's is again something akin to black magic as well.

SO here's question.

How frequent is it, that video containers are constructed with custom innerds? And the ancillary question is, once you determined what you need exaclty how do you find the matching codec's? Brother, don't get me started on how you install these bad boys as well. Do you need a special handshake with brutus? Pay off the neighborhood bookie? What? Man this needs to be streamlined!

What am I missing here?
    ZOK4me2000
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are missing the bit that stops you making it more complicated than it really is.

First, start using mediainfo for identifying the codec. It handles a lot more containers and codecs than g-spot, and is updated and maintained far more frequently. The Tree View is probably the clearest.

Second, if the biggest issue is playback, start with FFDShow. This will cover playback of most codecs with minimal fuss.

If you do need to install a specific codec, start in our Tools section (menu to your left) as it contains links to all the major codecs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. MPCHC, VLC, or KMPlayer will get you the ability to play almost everything. Haali + ffdshow will allow WMP to play almost everything except quicktime files (.MP4, .MOV). For that you can use QuickTimeAlternative.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    zok4me2000, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by zok4me2000 View Post
    How frequent is it, that video containers are constructed with custom innerds?
    You should think of containers (.AVI, .MKV, .MP4, .VOB, etc.) as boxes that hold audio, video, and other stuff with a particular organization. The audio and video inside those boxes can be compressed (or not) with any of a number of codecs (some containers are more flexible than others in this regard). The process of playing a video consists of opening the box, separating the stuff that's inside into separate "streams", sending the audio and video streams to codecs to be decompressed, and finally, sending the decompressed audio and video streams to the sound card and graphics card. A media player can perform these steps itself, or it can ask Windows to do any or all of them for it.

All that is done by building a "filter graph". Here is a simple filter graph shown as a flow chart:

Click image for larger version

Name:	graph.png
Views:	133
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	2477

Windows (DirectShow) looks through the system installed filters to see which filters can perform each of these steps. A computer typically has dozens, even hundreds of filters installed (in GSpot, select System -> List Codecs And Other Filters to see a list of installed filters on your system). There are often several filters that can perform the same jobs. A complex negotiation takes place between DirectShow and the installed filters to determine which filter is used and how data is passed from the output of one filter to the input of the next.

The graph above shows data flowing from left to right. First is a File Reader, a filter that tells Windows this is indeed an A/V file and it knows how to handle it. Next is a File Splitter that separates the compressed audio and video streams (sometimes the File Reader and File Splitter are combined into one filter). Those compressed streams are then sent to appropriate decompressors (ffdshow in this case). Finally, the decompressed streams are sent to renderers that play the audio and display the video.

The good thing about this system is it makes it very easy to extend DirectShow for new file types (containers), codecs, and other filters. If you invent a new container or codec you can simply write the appropriate filters. Anyone who installs those filters can now use DirectShow to play your files. The bad thing is it's easy to corrupt the system with a malfunctioning filter. For example, you often find that two programs install filters that do the same jobs but are not compatible with each other.
    Quote Quote  
  6. First let me thank all who have responded. Sorry about the violation of the naming convention, it was not my intent to do so. It won't happen again.

As for the differing answer let me begin by saying that as an electrical engineer who has tinkered in both hardware and software, i'm always after the details and by some asking for too much data. I can never get enough detail. The resoultion to issue that pop up have been in my estimation the degree in which you understand those pesky details. I appreciate the reference to the other decomposer and not GSpot. I will certainly switch over and give it a try.

As for the references of Players, that was very helpful as well, but if your task does not allow for such players then your screwed. Case in point is coversion of a video file to run under Windows as PowerPoint can only run what the media player can run. Another case in where I loaded K-Lite to get a few more codecs and my Premier Pro CS4 quit working.

For me it's all in the details.

The explanation from jagabo was a certification of what I thought was happening. I must admit again as I consider myself a newbie on this, the number of variables that I see is staggering. All I am trying to do is get my arms around this so that I can decompose the file enough to understand what I should have installed. And secondly, if I know that I'm missing a part, how to find and install said missing part.

I have been tainted by the K-Lite incident. I cannot have such problems arise as it can be devistating in times of need. I'm not naive to think that everything works with everything. SO many restrictions as a result of incompatibility issues and the desire to improve the video quality while keeping file sizes reasonable.

I still have an issue with a corporate network, they who have modified their OS's (and I believe thier media players capability) for security whilst I need to run traning videos embedded in power point. The twain is not meeting yet.

Thank you all for your responses.
    ZOK4me2000
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For powerpoint the simplest solution is to stick with WMV. It is as close to "run anywhere" as you can get in the MS world and keeps things simple. Windows 7 offers better support for more codecs, but WMV offers a better assurance of backwards compatibility.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    For powerpoint the simplest solution is to stick with WMV.
    Agreed.
    Quote Quote