VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Whenever I encode a video theres a chance that part of it will screw up causing artifacts and garbage frames. It seems to happen randomly because I can encode the same video again and it be fine or the problem could be in a different part. The garbage will last for minutes or the whole video when its started to occur. Here is a video of the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKe7zKYrzb0

Though that video has another error where it skipped a section right before the problem for no reason which the others didnt have.

This happens with both using virtualdub's framesever with megui or only using avisynth with a basic script that only really has Tdeint for deinterlacing in. Both FFDshow and programs are updated. I did start using an older FFDshow and the problem seems to happen less often and might only occur for a few minutes in a video before it rights itself but this just makes it harder to detect the problem files. Don't think i have anything else install that could be helping causing this, just haali media splitter.

I'm using the original h264 files from my hauppage PVR and never had this problem when i used to encode with lossless codec before using megui but avisynth or frameserver will save me a lot of time so want to get it working correctly.

The error doesnt appear in any of the previews but I can kind of make it look garbage for a few seconds if i skip to different parts of the movie in media player for long enough.
    Last edited by AwesomeRickyC; 5th Jul 2010 at 14:30.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I fixed your HTTP address. You need to leave a space after the URL.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1) how are you playing this back (what software, or hardware player)? Can you try something else, like MPCHC, or SMplayer for example - does it have the same issue? Or switch decoders ?

2) post settings used for encoding

3) post your avs script, and did you see any pixellation in the script before encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for fixing address!

I'm using MPCHC to play back and vlc player and same issue and doesnt switch decoder.

Is there an easy way to post my megui settings? i'll just use a screenshots for now with my avs scripts http://tinyurl.com/2ah8vjl

First script for opening in VD other for frameserver. My virtualdub settings are all th default except filters, also using resize filter which i forgot about.

I don't see pixelation before encoding but I do see a frame pixelated in VD windows if i cancel and close frameserver during when its started to mess up the encoding. That frame should be where it was up to when i cancelled. I know when its started to go wrong when seeing the increase in the projected file size and lowerings of procesing rate.

One things i noticed before is that affected files don't act correctly when trying to split in mkvmerge. Wanted to post video but kept only giving me the first 10 seconds. My old way was identical to this but save using techsmith capture codec in VD then using that for megui.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why are you using vdub? just to do cut/delete type edits ?

When you use vdub filters, you undergo an RGB conversion, and need too convert back to YV12 (there is some quality loss). If you did your edits in avisynth (including the resize), you could avoid this by staying in YV12 colorspace, and it's faster because you avoid the overhead of frameserving through vdub.

Directshowsource() as a source filter isn't necessarily frame accurate. So any scrubbing or temporal filters may cause errors

What type is your m2ts source file? use mediainfo if you don't know. Is it AVC? What directshow decoder are you using to decode? e..g ffdshow ? is it up to date ?

Is your MPCHC or VLC up to date? weightp caused pixellation with older builds (and still does with some decoders and hardware chips)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 28th Jun 2010 at 09:31.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mainly to crop and resize then to cut, change contrast/brightness if i need to. Will look more into using just avisynth but never used it to crop before and VD is so easy. Also like using smart cutter or H264 cutter to cut rather than VD when i can.

The method i'm using is used by 2 others and neither of them have problems like mine for some reason though.

Yeah, AVC and ffdshow. Everything is up to date. I've uninstalled and redownloaded codecs/programs a few days ago

edit - ok, cropping and resizing with avisynth is easy too, i'll try and just avoid VD when i find out how to sharpen and other things and see if my problem goes.

- Just used only avisynth and megui and i got the same problem. Started well but in the middle for 12 minutes it got all pixilated again.
    Last edited by AwesomeRickyC; 5th Jul 2010 at 14:31.
    Quote Quote  
  7. bump! edited first post with new things but still having problem but happening less often at least.
    Quote Quote