VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi-
    Last night I connected my SONY hdtv to my HP laptop with the HDMI cable. I finally got picture and sound working on both monitors but can't figure out how to expand the picture/image to full screen on the TV. My choice, on the PC, for screen resolution for both PC and digital TV choices stop at the 1360x1240 rez.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you are running the latest drivers for your laptop's gfx chipset. To get the best image you need to match the native resolution of your TV. You may have to consult your manual to determine this, or post a model number and someone will tell you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or select a standard HDTV resolution: 1920x1080 or 1280x720.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are you saying to select this on the TV? The PC choices for the digital TV monitor did not go as high as 1920.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Or select a standard HDTV resolution: 1920x1080 or 1280x720.
    That's what I do. My connection to HDTV is HDMI as well. My ATI card has "Scaling Options" to adjust overscan. Maybe you have some such option. What's your graphics chipset?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know the answer to that. How do I find graphic chipset info?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by majel View Post
    Hi-
    Last night I connected my SONY hdtv to my HP laptop with the HDMI cable. I finally got picture and sound working on both monitors but can't figure out how to expand the picture/image to full screen on the TV. My choice, on the PC, for screen resolution for both PC and digital TV choices stop at the 1360x1240 rez.
    If it helps...
    There are issues & a number of fixes for this with ATI graphics if that's what you've got. Or depending on your HDTV, change the screen settings &/or the way you connect. And/or your TV may also have a setting to make it stop talking to your laptop over HDMI, & just show the picture -- sometimes the results of that *conversation* don't work so well. And you *might* get lucky & find the exact answer for your model laptop &/or HDTV over at avsforum.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is a Sony Bravia, model KDL-40XBR4. Thanks for all the help!
    I can't find any overscan or rescan or refresh to make the screen larger.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm pretty sure that TV will accept 1920x1080p at 60 Hz. Then disable overscan on the TV. That will get you perfect pixel-for-pixel mapping, just like a giant computer monitor.

If you can't find 1920x1080 in the graphics driver setup applet you may have to dig a little deeper. In Windows XP right click on an empty part of the desktop and select Properties. Go to the Settings tab. Press the Advanced button. At the next dialog go to the Adapter tab. Press the List All Modes button. See if 1920x1080 60 Hz is there. Also, if your card has a setup applet from the manufacturer (Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Catalyst Control Center, for example) look there.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Jun 2010 at 17:09.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see an overscan and the manual doesn't mention it at all.
    How do I get a 1920 x1080 into the choice box? It is not listed now.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sony doesn't call it overscan, I think it's called "Full Pixel" or something like that. I'm pretty sure all the high end Sony LCD TVs have a non-overscan mode.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1113758.html

See my previous post again, I added some more details.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a setting and changed it from normal to full pixel. That didn't seem to do it. Then I noticed there is something called "wide" on the sony remote. It has 4 settings and the one called "full zoom" gives a full screen picture.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by majel View Post
    I found a setting and changed it from normal to full pixel. That didn't seem to do it. Then I noticed there is something called "wide" on the sony remote. It has 4 settings and the one called "full zoom" gives a full screen picture.
    Thanks for all your help!
    So "full zoom" alone gets you pixel-for-pixel mapping? You don't need the "full pixel" option? Just curious.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems so. It is a nice, clear picture full screen now. Looks good.
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you want to test for pixel-for-pixel mapping download the 1920x1080 Belle Nuit test chart from:

http://www.belle-nuit.com/testchart.html

View that full screen (Windows Picture and Fax Viewer with F11, or MPCHC Alt+Enter). You should be able to see each line of the single pixel thich black/white, and red/blue lines in the "1" area.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I will.
    Quote Quote