VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Canon Legria HV40, Windows 7 and have bought Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate.

Should I capture using Pinnacle (I have Firewire) or is there better programmes for capturing? The reason I'm asking, is when I capture, the image that displays on the PC does not appear to be "smooth".

I am from South Africa, so we use PAL- 25 fps. What should the settings be? 1440 by 1080?

In the other posts I have read that people are using hdvsplit. In the past I have also used Virtualdub for capturing.

So to summarize- Pinnacle, or another programme for capturing? I am happy with the editing, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by avz10 View Post
    I have a Canon Legria HV40, Windows 7 and have bought Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate.

Should I capture using Pinnacle (I have Firewire) or is there better programmes for capturing? The reason I'm asking, is when I capture, the image that displays on the PC does not appear to be "smooth".

I am from South Africa, so we use PAL- 25 fps. What should the settings be? 1440 by 1080?

In the other posts I have read that people are using hdvsplit. In the past I have also used Virtualdub for capturing.

So to summarize- Pinnacle, or another programme for capturing? I am happy with the editing, etc.

Thanks
    I recommend you capture with HDVsplit and backup that m2t file as your archive. Then import into Studio following rules for HDV 1440x1080i/25.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I open Pinnacle Studio 14, I am able to see the title of these m2t files, but if I drag them to the storyboard, I cannot open it. My perception is that I need to change the format to mpeg to continue with the editing. Or is there a plug-in for Studio 14?

Then import into Studio following rules for HDV 1440x1080i/25.
    I am not sure what this means.

What am I not doing, or doing incorrectly?

Thanks for any advice
    Last edited by avz10; 27th Jun 2010 at 08:19.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While waiting for re-plies, I saw that SUPER is an option. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    You could capture in DV RAW or DV AVI with enosoft (www.enosoft.com). They offer a free version which allows you to make on-the-fly video adjustments while capturing your video with good results. I have Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate but I don't use it to capture; to me it's primary use is for after-capture editing.
    Try the enosoft, I think you'll like it!
    Cheers,
    Fred
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I open Pinnacle Studio 14, I am able to see the title of these m2t files, but if I drag them to the storyboard, I cannot open it. My perception is that I need to change the format to mpeg to continue with the editing. Or is there a plug-in for Studio 14?

Then import into Studio following rules for HDV 1440x1080i/25.
    I am not sure what this means.

What am I not doing, or doing incorrectly?

Thanks for any advice
    I haven't used recent versions of Pinnacle Studio but in most other editors, you set an HDV project under "File" "New". The reason I recommend external capture with HDVsplit is the archive backup issue. Many low end editors convert HDV or AVCHD to an intermediate format on import.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Fred

I struggled with the Turkish!! Got ot translated, but still could not find the download site. I even tried to register, but no luck.

edV- will try your option now.

Others have said that I should try it as it is, or change the post fix to m2ts or just ts, but no luck

Thanks
    Albie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We need a Pinnacle Studio 14 HDV user to comment.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw this from the Avid site:

Can I import *.FLV (Flash) or *.TS (Transport Stream) files?
    Currently these kind of files can't be used with Studio 14.

However, you can make use of the files with Studio 14 by converting them first into one of the supported formats. There are several free conversion applications available; one of them is SUPER of eRightSoft (as of 09/2009).
    For me it seems senseless to capture and then convert before I can use the file.

I can much easier capture direct with a good programme in mpeg.

Any ideas of agood capturing programme?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Please accept my apologies as I gave you the incorrect url. It should have read www.enosoft.net (NOT .com).
    It's worth the time to go to the site and consider downloading the free version!
    The Turkish is a little hard to get through, isn't it?
    Cheers,
    Fred
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I saw this from the Avid site:

Can I import *.FLV (Flash) or *.TS (Transport Stream) files?
    Currently these kind of files can't be used with Studio 14.

However, you can make use of the files with Studio 14 by converting them first into one of the supported formats. There are several free conversion applications available; one of them is SUPER of eRightSoft (as of 09/2009).
    For me it seems senseless to capture and then convert before I can use the file.

I can much easier capture direct with a good programme in mpeg.

Any ideas of agood capturing programme?
    So you are saying Studio 14 can't import an HDV *.m2t file and isn't working for direct capture either?
    Quote Quote