VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I just recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate today and as I as installing and testing software I normally use, I noticed that Media Player Classic Home Cinema (v1.3.2050.0) will not play .wmv video files correctly. It will play the audio and either show a still video image or no image at all. I have the latest version of Media Player Classic Home Cinema and K-Lite Codec Pack. I'm going to try some other video formats and see if it does the same thing.

EDIT:

MPC plays MKV, AVI, MP4 and VOBs just fine. So what's the deal with WMV?

More info:

Processors: Intel Pentium D 3.40 GHz + 3.42 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    System Type: 32-bit
    System Model: 775 Dual-VSTA
    DirectX ver. 11
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X1300/x1550 Series
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audgy
    Microsoft .NETFramework vers. 2.0.50727 and 3.0
    Last edited by Nagashi; 23rd Jun 2010 at 02:51.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have W7 ultimate and MPC-HC plays WMVs fine. I didn't install a problematic codec pack, just ffdshow. Zoom player and VLC also play WMVs on my system. But you might drop that WMV into MediaInfo and find out which format it uses. WMV has a few variations. If all your WMV files refuse to play, and VLC works then it's likely a codec problem. VLC uses it's own codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have had problems with Media Player Classic on Windows 7 as well. Videos that would play fine in Media Player Classic on XP would stutter or freeze in Media Player Classic on 7 but play perfectly in Windows Media Player. I thought it was a Windows 7 beta issue, but it still happens sometimes. Oddly enough, the exact opposite happens too. Sometimes Media Player Classic is the only player that can play a file! Try playing the file in Windows Media Player or the latest VLC, it should play fine in one or both of those. If not then you have a bad video or a codec problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. View -> Options -> Playback -> Output... change the DirectShow Video output device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. VLC works. And also....

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    View -> Options -> Playback -> Output... change the DirectShow Video output device.
    /slaps_own_face
    Quote Quote