VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently bought the JVC GC-FM1 subcompact HD video recorder. The samples I saw on YT looked decent but I'm not getting the same results. Upon closer examination it seems my PC is not rendering the .mov produced videos very well. In 720p mode I even get random pauses as the video plays, in many cases these video samples are only 50 mb in size. In 1080p mode I don't get that jerkyness. I believe that the 1080 is 30 fps and the 720 is 60 fps.

After uploading a raw .mov to YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLM7EERvq6A the video looked fine for the quality level of the camera.

But on my PC the video plays more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er7SelIoka8 Notice how jerky the movement of the cars are.

Someone suggested I need a better codecs since I'm running .mov made for Mac on my PC, however I have quicktime pro installed (I needed pro to be able to edit in Premier pro). I tried converting the .mov to .avi but since my PC is mishandling the .mov, the conversions don't do too well either, I.E., I have the same problem.

I can play an 8gb 1080 HD video in mpeg or klv just fine, why not a 50mb 1080 or 720 .mov? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I could just upload raw videos to YT but I really need to be able edit the videos first and as long as my PC is mishandling these .mov I cant do that. Thanks for reading.

Edit: I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Vista, 3gb ram, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330
    Last edited by Whane The Whip; 22nd Jun 2010 at 21:07. Reason: submitting PC info...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try opening the mov in the latest version of VLC or MediaPlayerClassic Home Cinema edition. If it's smooth there, then it's the crappy h264 decoder in Quicktime that's giving you grief.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote