VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, as a newbie i'm almost embarrassed to post this because i've been doing my research in order to find the best free or gnu license (or similar) software that will fulfil my basic editing needs, with the "rubbish" i have filmed, which are:

- A program that works with MP4 files. I don't wish to have to convert them to another file format;

- Allows to insert narrations and texts, as well as subtitles. And songs. And basic sound effects too ;

- Let me be free to save the file in the same resolution i have filmed them, or any other i want. Windows Live Movie Maker doesn't seem to aloud me to do so.

Yes, i have searched this forum obsessively to find the best software for this, but yet i don't know if VideoPad will have all of it's functionalities working after a period of time with the free version. After all, it' not open source, is it?
    And i don't know if AVI Demux will work with MP4 files and if it can insert narrations and stuff.

Please, help me with these "simple" questions!

Thank you in advance!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might be able to use mp4cam2avi and then use simple editors like windows movie maker.

Or else try videostudio pro, Vegas Movie Studio, Magix Movie Edit Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bodh1 View Post
    And i don't know if AVI Demux will work with MP4 files and if it can insert narrations and stuff.
    Try it, it's free, takes two minutes to install.
    Has a lot of filters you can use included.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You might be able to use mp4cam2avi and then use simple editors like windows movie maker.

Or else try videostudio pro, Vegas Movie Studio, Magix Movie Edit Pro.
    videostudio pro, vegas and magix are all paid, right?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Try it, it's free, takes two minutes to install.
    Has a lot of filters you can use included.
    Well, i'm actually trying it, both of them, cause i'm also trying videopad, but yeah, they don't have all the things i want i guess...

Do you use which of 'em?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't have all the things i want i guess...

Do you use which of 'em?
    I use Avidemux.

I don't know what you mean by "insert narrations", for instance.

If you mean a voiceover, I'd demux the audio and mix it in Audacity, and remux.

Some of the (expensive) video editors let you do this with the video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    don't have all the things i want i guess...

Do you use which of 'em?
    I use Avidemux.

I don't know what you mean by "insert narrations", for instance.

If you mean a voiceover, I'd demux the audio and mix it in Audacity, and remux.

Some of the (expensive) video editors let you do this with the video.
    I just uninstalled avidemux LOL
    It wasn't being able to save what i had edited (the most basic thing to be done, to cut the movie) so i got over with it. Avidemux was telling me it couldn't handle something with the audio, which i don't get it cause the clip i was working on had only the audio the camera had captured.

Yes, i mean voiceover, sorry. Voiceover with also a soundtrack in the background would be perfect.
    Well, so i'd have to download audacity (which is a good program) and do what with the audio file? Sorry, i have never edited before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, i mean voiceover, sorry. Voiceover with also a soundtrack in the background would be perfect.
    Well, so i'd have to download audacity (which is a good program) and do what with the audio file? Sorry, i have never edited before.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Mixing

Then save back in whatever format you need.

Of course, with Audacity you only work with audio, you can't see the video at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Mixing

Then save back in whatever format you need.

Of course, with Audacity you only work with audio, you can't see the video at the same time.
    Thank you very much, i'll try that and get back to you right here. I still have to download audacity.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much, i'll try that and get back to you right here. I still have to download audacity.
    Cheers
    Get the 1.3.x Beta, not the 1.2 version. Many improved features.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could use cutassistant to edit (on keyframes) without recoding. You would need to install the programs needed to use cutassistant (asfbin, avidemux, mp4box and virtualdub).

You could then use Yamb or My MP4Box GUI to join and add extras. You could also use mkvmerge if you wanted to use mkv container instead of mp4.
    Quote Quote