VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does XVID4PSP work with hyper threading? anyone with an i7 care to comment? I was considering buying an i7 but am not sure if i should if it doesn't as this is a major factor for me. Not just xvid4psp but other programs editing images that are heavy on the cpu etc. What about that 980x. will a 6 core processor be fully used by xvid4psp?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, Hyperthreading is OS dependent and not program dependent. It's also an Intel terminology, but AMD may have similar. The i7 and most all newer Intel CPUs have it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

Some codecs can make use of multiple cores for faster processing, but that's codec dependent, not the program using the codec. Xvid can be set for six core use and it does show all six cores operating in my AMD six core CPU during an encode, but at only about 30% usage. Divx can use multiple cores also. H.264 can definitely do it as it shows 100% usage on all six cores during encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nice. I was looking forward to using this cpu with h.264/ Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote