VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still on a quest to find a good HD camera and came across this one, but not too many online review. It has an impressive list of features, and currently went on sale at Amazon. I wanted to check it out in local Best Buy, but they are sold out. Curious if anybody has any comments about it or can offer an opinion?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So nobody have seen or used this video camera? I just placed an order on Amazon, it was for $379 and sounds like a bargain. In the last month I bought and returned Canon M30 (I wasn't impressed with a video inside of the house with low light) and Best Buy's Insignia camera (all the features were fantastic, but audio gets encoded at some VBR that is not supported by a lot of programs). I hope this Panasonic camera will be better, but can't find any reviews or feedback other than a few comments left on Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is new. None of the major camcorder review sites have published a full review.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it wasn't really a review but rather a link to Amazon with user reviews. I did check it before, but thanks anyway! Sometimes I take these reviews with a grain of salt because I always feel like they have someone working for a manufacturer or their competitor posting to make pro/con comments lol!!! But these all seem to sound like a real deal. It’s interesting to notice a trick Panasonic/Amazon did with this camera. They offered $100 of manufacturing price and Amazon offered another $50 off with free-shipping; lots of people jump in which moves camera up the list of popular buys, brings more reviews, etc, and than a week later price goes up to $485 + shipping. Anyway, mine should ship in a month because it was sold out. I will make sure to come back and post my impressions about it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No viewfinder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    No viewfinder.

If it's the only negative for this camera, I would be VERY happy BTW, any recommendations for extended warranty when buying on-line? I’m used to buying cameras from Best Buy where I get hassle free 4 year warranty. With this upcoming Amazon purchase, if I'm happy with a camera and decide to keep it, are there any reliable extended warranty suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have one from two months. I am pleased with the performance. When I purchased there is no much reviews. Now it scored 5 from all 5 users in amezon. there is no 24p, at 1080/60i files are too big. Now I am trying to convert 720/30p to play on one of my low end laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Twister6...Not having a viewfinder can be a BIG deal if you do any vids in bright daylight. You will not be able to see anything on the external screen if the sun is shining on it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @TreeTops: yes, good point. Since I'm looking for sub $600 flash camcorder, no viewfinder is typical for that price range. While I was using/testing one of the Best Buy's Insignia camera outside, I had to shoot "blind" just like you mentioned above.

@chicken264: what do you mean by "trying", is there a problem with a file format? does it come bundled with any software which helps you convert to different formats? If not, what software are you using? 24p is so called movie mode, right?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you ever receive your camcorder? Is it as good as the amazon review say it is?
    merci
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still on back order Coincedentally all the local electronic stores have it on back order as well. Sounds like Panasonic didn't realize what they were getting into with their introduction promotion lol!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a long time to be waiting. I for one am very intrested to hear your impressions about this camcorder. Let me know when you have the goods in your hand.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Over a month and still waiting, while I ordered my Droid X and got it in one week. At least now I can shoot 720p HD videos with my phone LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    agree this camera has the specs I want.. I also have had one on order via amazon 2nd of July but still waiting (although when ordered they did state delivery between july 28 and august 16th) did you receive yours yet Twister?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @poppenhe: check your PM. mine is due to arrive on August 10th. btw, I ordered mine on June 22nd. since you ordered yours on July 2nd, I would assume you might have to wait another week. Hope this wait is worth almost 2 months. So far I have seen only 5 star reviews and Amazon has no returned/refurbed units yet. Also once I confirm if I like this camcorder, I'm planning to order 3-year SquareTrade warranty plus accidental protection ($89). I actually read a lot of positive feedback about SquareTrade and their policy where if they can't fix it, they will refund you money for the original purchase.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by twister6 View Post
    @TreeTops: yes, good point. Since I'm looking for sub $600 flash camcorder, no viewfinder is typical for that price range. While I was using/testing one of the Best Buy's Insignia camera outside, I had to shoot "blind" just like you mentioned above.

@chicken264: what do you mean by "trying", is there a problem with a file format? does it come bundled with any software which helps you convert to different formats? If not, what software are you using? 24p is so called movie mode, right?
    24P / Movie mode not present. Conversion is not a problem. I was able to do with ffmpeg. XmediaRecode did not work right initially.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After almost a month and a half of waiting, I finally got my Panasonic HDC-TM55 camcorder. And the wait was... WELL WORTH IT!!! I was skeptical due to a very low price, with a promotion from Panasonic and Amazon it ran for $379 and as a result too many people ordered the camera with a demand probably 100x of supply lol!!!

One thing to note, I ordered TM55k while the box arrived with TM55 "black" model. I called Panasonic to find out what is a difference and they confirmed that "k" stands for "black" color. No other differences otherwise. I previously have purchased and returned Canon M30 and Best Buy's Insignia HD and also played at BB with Sony camcorder. The camera is very compact and much smaller than other HD cameras with similar features. It even makes standard VBK180 battery that comes with a camera look too big when you clip it on. It has a solid built quality and feels very comfortable in my hand. All the buttons on the camera and touch screen are well laid out. Touch screen is very responsive and easy to navigate. Optical zoom is 25x while you also get intelligent 35x zoom. It’s not your typical digital distorted zoom, but actually a very clear zoom all the way to 35x. Auto focus is spot on while moving camera from object to object and during fast zoom-in. Picture quality is fantastic. I plugged it to my 4:3 TV directly from the camera - very impressive. Than I also converted MTS file to MPG and played on laptop and Philips DVD player (from USB stick). I'm not a video pro and can't tell you about specific video quality details. I'm a consumer user and got this camera to record videos of my kids and family gatherings. Based on my first day impression of this camera it over exceeds my expectations. And in my humble opinion it has features and build quality equal to Canon/Sony that cost twice that much. I still need to test recording at low light (rated very high quality by others) and want to check out visibility of the touch screen outside in direct sunlight. Hopefully I will update this post in a near future with more stuff as I continue learning more about this camera.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! Good for you and thanks for a great summary! Hopefully mine will ship in the next few days... the original ship date said between July 28 and Aug 16th...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you still as excited with your purchase as when you received it?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VERY happy.. Fantastic performance.. Great feel..
    Quote Quote  
  21. I finally got mine last week from B&H for $350.what settings are u guys using for indoor(low light)? it's freak'n cold here in IL,and the kids aren't going to play outside until march/April lol so most of the taping is going to be inside the house.

BTW,The Panasonic looks like a mini copper next Canon HV20 .LOL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    I finally got mine last week from B&H for $350.what settings are u guys using for indoor(low light)? it's freak'n cold here in IL,and the kids aren't going to play outside until march/April lol so most of the taping is going to be inside the house.

BTW,The Panasonic looks like a mini copper next Canon HV20 .LOL
    That camcorder has a tiny sensor/optics vs. the HV20. You will need to use lights when shooting.

Ikea CFL lamps are good for raising the black level and they are cheap.
    Name:  Ikea_lamps.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  3.0 KB
    Last edited by edDV; 25th Dec 2010 at 19:08.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanx.
    thats a 45 mile trip to Ikea plus the lamps are made of paper?my kids are 1 year and the oldest is 2.1/2 .they will destroy them and chew them like a can of Red Man tobacco
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	M1020001.gif
Views:	477
Size:	985.8 KB
ID:	4854  

Quote Quote