VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello there. I'm trying to edit a video created with the Lagarith codec. I want to use VirtualDub for this, but it won't open the file. It complains:

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'LAGS'(unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Window (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video.
    DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

I have the LAGS codec installed, so I don't know what the problem is.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, that one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How did you install it ?
    If you open a piece of footage in Virtualdub, set compression to full processing, and select a type of compression, does Lagarith appear ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. 64 bit Windows? 64 bit VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    How did you install it ?
    If you open a piece of footage in Virtualdub, set compression to full processing, and select a type of compression, does Lagarith appear ?
    I installed it via right clicking on the inf file and clicking on install.

But, no, Lagarith does not appear in VD's list of compression types.

Jagobo: This is all 32 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  7. VirtualDub only checks for codecs when it starts up. If you installed a codec after starting VirtualDub it will not show up in the codec list until you exit VirtualDub and start it again.

Does Lagarith show up in Windows' list of codecs? From Control Panel select Sounds and Audio Devices -> Hardware tab -> Video Codecs -> Properties -> Properties tab. You should see Lagarith Lossless codec [LAGS] in the list.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VirtualDub only checks for codecs when it starts up. If you installed a codec after starting VirtualDub it will not show up in the codec list until you exit VirtualDub and start it again.
    Yes, I suspected that. But the computer has been rebooted several times since that installation and it still doesn't show in VD's list.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Does Lagarith show up in Windows' list of codecs? From Control Panel select Sounds and Audio Devices -> Hardware tab -> Video Codecs -> Properties -> Properties tab. You should see Lagarith Lossless codec [LAGS] in the list.
    Right. It shows up just as you quoted.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm out of ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, I opened my Lagarith file with G-Spot to see what it said. It says the Codec used is Lagarith, but it also says the Codec is NOT installed.

This file is on an external harddrive. Would that make a difference?
    Quote Quote  
  11. After posting what I just posted, I decided to look for a smaller file on the same harddrive that was encoded with Lagarith, (the idea was I could transfer it to the c drive and answer my previous question). I found a tiny file and transferred it, and behold! VD opened it. I checked the file info in VD and it said it was a LAGS file. I then checked the list of compressors and Lagarith was suddenly listed.

So, I closed VD and tried to open the tiny file again but on the external drive. It opened.

So, then I tried to open the other file I was having trouble with -- it opened.

So, I don't know. Don't ask me cause I don't know. I've got what I need so that's that.

Thanks for all the help anyway.

By the way, when I again opened that file with GSpot it still reports that the codec is not installed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. GSpot is looking for DirectShow codecs. VirtualDub uses VFW codecs. But VFW codecs can be used by DirectShow programs via a wrapper. GSpot shows Lagarith installed on my system. Can WMP player play the Lagarith file?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, WMP can play the file.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Strange that GSpot doesn't see it then.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Strange that GSpot doesn't see it then.
    Yes, all this is very strange. GSpot doesn't recognize Lags and WMP will play the file. But, when I look at File Manager's preview for the file, it shows junk.

Also, I was hoping to use Pinnacle's Videospin to make sample video clips of the file, but Videospin cannot play the file either. Even though WMP and also VD, (now), will play the file.
    Quote Quote