VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    G’day all
    After uninstalling Norton and manually cleaning the registry, run ESET, defrag and organizing folders on my son’s PC, rebooting many times during the process after every task was completed I ran SUPERAntiSpyware Professional, I try to reboot and had the message the configuration system file is corrupt or missing. Try booting from XP install CD and hit “r” to try to repair.

The OS is Windows XP Home OEM SP3. I have Windows XP Home Retail no SP.

I have backed up all data and registry. I have an Acronis image of the HD taken after the crackdown (not much help to copy the file from it) the file is empty when open with notepad.

I also have Windows XP Pro SP3 and the original XP pro no SP.

How can I retrieve the config sys file from the System Volume Information. I can open the folder OK and access the files but cannot see config. sys. file.

Can I do a repair install with what I have or an upgrade to XP Pro without upsetting the installed software?

Any help is appreciated.

John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there should be a backup in c:\Windows\System32\Config.nt that you can rename .sys, but they are dummy files only needed by old dos based programs. same with autoexec.bat

i think what you are missing is the hive. there isn't any backup for that. you could try restoring from an earlier backup.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no earlier backup.

Quote Quote  
  4. So what are you saying, your Acronis backup is in the same state as the PC is now? So no use restoring that. Didn't that superantispyware make a backup of what it changed? How far do you get in the boot process before you get the error message?

You can try to repair windows, but if the registry is pouched, it won't be any better than re-installing from scratch. Just start the windows installation and when you get to the point where you have to hit enter to do the install, you will see an option to repair (I think you hit R).

As far as I'm concerned there are only 3 sources for safe anti spyware: Spybot, Ad-aware and the built-in function from a reputable antivirus (norton, CA, trend...).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes we need to know exactly what you are missing. If you are getting a missing or corrupt prompt then it will tell you the file name and path. Post back with booth.

Also I recommend that any XP system you have be patched to SP3 (you will have to patch to SP1 the SP3)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kelly's corner resolution

Programs installed after the first initial os install should be reinstalled as registry entries related to those products will not exist.
    Quote Quote  
  7. tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, thank you for your help and support. In total frustration I decided to reformat. I have not lost any of the data: documents, photos, video clips, movies. The software is replaceable. I had some problems getting the drivers. I ran out of Internet allowance for the month, but back on it in two days.

Thanks again. I learned a lot with this problem.

Regards

John
    Quote Quote