VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I do not subscribe to cable any longer. I have an over the air antenna for my local channels.

I was wondering if some of you guys can give some recommendations on a tv tuner card thats HD and for over the air local channels. I would like this card to work well with WMC.

Also I would like the ability to record the channels (i think you can do in WMC) thanks for the suggestions in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    I have lots of HD tuner cards, USB and PCI, name brand and no-name. The only difference I can tell from any of them is the included software. Since you want to use Windows Media Center, that issue it really moot and if you are using Windows 7, nearly all current tuners are supported. Every tuner on the market today supports high def, so that requirement is met. From my experience, it really comes down to price. If you are going to live with only OTA television through WMC, your big consideration is really going to be a good antenna.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What I use now is a HD Homerun tuner over my LAN. It gives me access to OTA HDTV via antenna and HDTV cable channels (Which I don't have at present) with any computers in my LAN system. It interfaces with Media Center and works great with W7. Just one suggestion. http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recommendations depend somewhat upon which Windows Media Center you have. I think Windows XP MCE 2005 requires an analog tuner, but if you have a version of Vista or Windows 7 that includes Media Center, there is no such requirement. Also, you need to know what interfaces your PC has available. You should also find out whether your graphics card can do a good job displaying HD video. Tuner sensitivity and ability to deal with multipath varies for TV cards, but a rooftop antenna with proper amplification is a big help.

If you have a computer with a free PCI-e slot, are using Vista or Windows 7, have a strong enough signal, and don't have any low-power analog channels that you want to watch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100041&cm_re=avermedia-_-15-1...-041-_-Product would allow you to record two digital channels at once with only one coax input.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys thanks for the suggestions!! I should have mentioned im using Windows 7 x64 ultimate (=
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also the hdhomerun looks nice i never imagined buying one tuner device and watch on all computers!! awesome ~(=
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlos28355 View Post
    also the hdhomerun looks nice i never imagined buying one tuner device and watch on all computers!! awesome ~(=
    I didn't have a budget large enough for an HDHomeRun, and I wanted a device that included analog capture as well as a digital tuner, so I bought a different product (from Diamond/ATI), but I certainly liked what I read about the HDHomeRun tuners.

If your budget supports it, it is one of the best, and SiliconDust is the only company that makes a network tuner. These devices have been certified for Windows 7 64-bit, so there should be no problems due to the OS you use.

Reading user reviews, the bulk of those who bought a the dual-tuner HDHomeRun seem to be very satisfied with their purchase. The poor reviews came from people who: A. received a defective unit, or B. did not meet the hardware/software requirements for the device, or C: expected it to tune analog channels, or D. bought it to use with digital cable expecting that most of the channels their package would be unencrypted, or E. have a weak signal/poor reception at their address.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont have the budget for it but i will save for it since i plan to put an HTPC in each room (eventually) times are hard right now (;
    Quote Quote