VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering if it is possible to have one set of speakers that can be used for tv and pc. I have a Samsung 2333HD monitor that is both a tv and monitor connected to the pc through HDMI, And my Logitech X-540 is connected to the PC
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    PC's generally used powered speakers and your TV would need the several output jacks for surround audio, which it probably doesn't have. (Assuming your surround speakers have several cables that you plug into your sound card.) Optionally, if you are watching video from the PC, you could disable the HDMI audio and run the audio to the sound card speakers. If your TV/monitor has S/PDIF out, that could be ran to a surround amplifier and non-powered speakers.

What I do is to use a regular surround sound audio system both for my PCs and TV audio. I don't use the monitors speakers at all. I have a remote control audio switcher to select the audio S/PIDF (Coaxial) source. But I have a VGA/HDMI monitor, not a regular TV. TV reception is from a PC card.

What would probably be easier is to just get a set of powered stereo speakers for the TV if the existing ones are inadequate and use the stereo audio output of the TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also have a Samsung 2333HD (combo monitor and HDTV). If you are using the 2333HD tuner, the S/PDIF output is limited to a stereo mix. That is true for most HDTV tuners.

Similar to Redwudz, I feed my PC, DVD player, cable box and HDTV S/PDIF audio cables to a normal home theater receiver (a Denon in my case) and switch audio to the source. The PC, DVD player and cable box can source 5.1 audio.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, I just bought the x540 a few months back and dont really want to speak on a home theater yet, but thanks for the advice!
    Quote Quote