VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So do any of you out there use LP or EP modes on your DVD Recorders? I can tell you that I don't, but I don't exactly enjoy rifling through DVDs at a pretty high rate, which is why I considered using Double Layer discs, but I have yet to find ones that actually work with my machine!

The reason I don't like LP or EP modes on DVD as much is because the pixelation of DVDs annoys me more than the noise of a VHS or S-VHS tape. That's just me, I don't know about the rest of you lot. It probably comes down to whether you're a stickler for quality or not.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used both, unless I scutinize the picture it plays well. If I went to convert my recordings to avi then I really notice it. It seems the EP recordings may be streatched while playing them back. Just yesterday I was watching Popeye, which I recorded ages ago from PPV on a DVD_RW in EP mode, which was recorded using composite, and it still looks like when I originally watched it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I try to record in the High Quality mode. There's no going back once recorded in a lower quality. Although, my Lite-On recorder did appear to clean up a VHS recording made years ago. The human eye, easily fooled?
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mainly use FR set to no more than about 3hrs/disc. For things like extras on DVDs I sometimes use LP(4hrs) because on newer Panasonics they retain full resolution through LP. The flip side of this is the bitrate is starved so if the scenes have a lot of fast motion it tends to macroblock badly. If you're recording from a noisy analog source I'd never use LP but really stick to SP for the bitrate. AFA EP6, sure I use it occasionally. Mostly for talking heads where I don't care much of the picture quality but more of what they are saying. Charlie Rose, Bill Moyers etc.
    I very very rarely use DL media in my standalone recorders. Just too expensive, not rewritable and finicky. Buy some good DVD wallets and you'll be able to store anywhere from 32-300+ DVDs in a small area. I like the top/bottom storage wallets which hold from 40-108/wallet and aren't too heavy like the quad 200+ wallets.
    Quote Quote