VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. is there any way that i can enhance the audio from the video if there is some distortion in the audio

edit : video affecting the video clarity
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try dropping the audio into a audio editor like the freeware Audacity and see if you can get some improvement with the filters. If you need to demux/remux the audio to the video you can use VirtualDub or AVIDemux.

And this is in the wrong forum. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You can try dropping the audio into a audio editor like the freeware Audacity and see if you can get some improvement with the filters. If you need to demux/remux the audio to the video you can use VirtualDub or AVIDemux.

And this is in the wrong forum. Moving you.
    i have a video whose audio i want to filter but audacity i think don't allow to open video files ...................... its for only audio?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As redwudz said, you need to demux; i.e. separate the video and audio streams. Once you fix the audio, it will need to be remuxed to the video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    As redwudz said, you need to demux; i.e. separate the video and audio streams. Once you fix the audio, it will need to be remuxed to the video.
    oh k sorry i'm new to this so don't know about this

thanks for the kind help
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    First thing, drop one of those videos into MediaInfo and tell us the video and audio format. That will determine the programs used. VD and AVIDemux can split the audio from the video, depending on the formats. If it's Divx/Xvid with MP3, easy enough. If it's a MPEG video, then usually some different programs.

Audacity is only an audio editor. It generally needs a separate audio stream to work with.

VirtualDub is well worth learning to use. I would try to open the video there, then, under 'File>Save WAV', save the audio. Open that WAV file in Audacity and apply your filters. Leave VD running. Then in Audacity save out the enhanced audio in the same format as original. In VD, go to 'Audio>Audio from another file..', and select your modified audio. Then in VD, use Direct stream copy for the video and audio and save it. That's it. Both those programs have guides if you look to the bottom of their toolpages.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    First thing, drop one of those videos into MediaInfo and tell us the video and audio format. That will determine the programs used. VD and AVIDemux can split the audio from the video, depending on the formats. If it's Divx/Xvid with MP3, easy enough. If it's a MPEG video, then usually some different programs.

Audacity is only an audio editor. It generally needs a separate audio stream to work with.

VirtualDub is well worth learning to use. I would try to open the video there, then, under 'File>Save WAV', save the audio. Open that WAV file in Audacity and apply your filters. Leave VD running. Then in Audacity save out the enhanced audio in the same format as original. In VD, go to 'Audio>Audio from another file..', and select your modified audio. Then in VD, use Direct stream copy for the video and audio and save it. That's it. Both those programs have guides if you look to the bottom of their toolpages.
    ya its MPEG and getting this error in VD

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your video is MPEG-2, likely from DVD material. Use VirtualDubMod or Avidemux, instead of barebones VirtualDub (which does .avi files).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Your video is MPEG-2, likely from DVD material. Use VirtualDubMod or Avidemux, instead of barebones VirtualDub (which does .avi files).
    guide to use avidemux
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Actually Audacity can import audio from video files using the ffmpeg import/export library in the new 1.3 series Beta versions.
    It can import any audio format from any container format that ffmpeg supports.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All the other advice is good. But with VD, you may have to add a MPEG codec for opening a MPEG file. AVIDemux may be a bit easier for a newbie to the processes especially with MPEG-2. I use VD Mod most times, but it only outputs in AVI type format. You can frameserve the output to a MPEG encoder for MPEG output, but that's another step.

Anyway, the freeware Audacity is still a good program to try to enhance a audio file. You may have to play with the settings a bit, but it has a lot of options. Once you get the audio file demuxed, you can post a bit of it here and our members can probably give you some advice on Audacity settings. Usually, something less than 30MB. 10MB will download even faster and may give you more comments. Filtering always tends to remove some quality, but it can also remove some noise, so you may end up with some improvement.

Experiment.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    All the other advice is good. But with VD, you may have to add a MPEG codec for opening a MPEG file. AVIDemux may be a bit easier for a newbie to the processes especially with MPEG-2. I use VD Mod most times, but it only outputs in AVI type format. You can frameserve the output to a MPEG encoder for MPEG output, but that's another step.

Anyway, the freeware Audacity is still a good program to try to enhance a audio file. You may have to play with the settings a bit, but it has a lot of options. Once you get the audio file demuxed, you can post a bit of it here and our members can probably give you some advice on Audacity settings. Usually, something less than 30MB. 10MB will download even faster and may give you more comments. Filtering always tends to remove some quality, but it can also remove some noise, so you may end up with some improvement.

Experiment.
    can u help me on how to demux the audio in avidemux
    Quote Quote  
  13. the link of the demux audio is below

i did it as audio --> save ................. is this right?
    Quote Quote  
  14. i found how to demux video and audio but after demuxing them ........ they are showing as notepad file and when i add .mpeg extension at the end of video file it doesn't opened in WMP but opened in VLC player\

now guide me for this little bit more and need full guide on how to use audacity and enhance the audio ..................... i have shared the link in the ABOVE POST OF THE SAMPLE OF AUDIO WHOSE CLARITY I WANT TO ENHANCE

THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You demuxed correctly, however AVI Demux has one big quirk - it does not add the file extension. So if you save a video file that uses the avi container, you have to remember to add .avi to the end of the file name. That same is required for the audio files.

Start by checking your original file with mediainfo to find out what type of audio you have. In an mpg file it is usually mpeg-1 layer 2 (.mp2 or .mpa), LPCM (.wav) or Dolby Digital (.ac3). Once you know what type of audio it is, add the appropriate extension to the audio file you have.

You will also probably have to use the Beta 1.3x version of Audacity with the appropriate ffmpeg library in order to work with ac3 or mp2 audio. The standard 1.2x version should handle .wav files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    You demuxed correctly, however AVI Demux has one big quirk - it does not add the file extension. So if you save a video file that uses the avi container, you have to remember to add .avi to the end of the file name. That same is required for the audio files.

Start by checking your original file with mediainfo to find out what type of audio you have. In an mpg file it is usually mpeg-1 layer 2 (.mp2 or .mpa), LPCM (.wav) or Dolby Digital (.ac3). Once you know what type of audio it is, add the appropriate extension to the audio file you have.

You will also probably have to use the Beta 1.3x version of Audacity with the appropriate ffmpeg library in order to work with ac3 or mp2 audio. The standard 1.2x version should handle .wav files.
    all i want now is how to enhance the audio in audacity ............. i have added the audio link in #13
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From your sample, that's a .mp2 audio track with two mono channels. Not stereo. What you could try in Audacity is first in 'Edit>Select>All' to select the whole audio file.
    Then set the High Pass filter to about 40Hz to cut off the low frequency 'booming' effect.
    Then set the Low Pass Filter to about 10000Hz to lower some of the higher frequencies.
    Then use the Compressor filter.
    Next split the channels by using the down arrow to the left of the two channel displays. Select 'Split Stereo Track'.
    Select just the lower track and use the 'Delay' filter.
    Then click the arrow to the left of the tracks again and 'Make Stereo Track'. Then, in the same box, select 'Set Rate' and choose 48000Hz, since the existing 44100Hz does not work well with DVDs.
    Last, chose 'File>Export' and chose 'MP2 Files' as a export format. Mux it back with the video.

Many other ways to do all this. What that audio appears to be is a MP2 mono file someone duplicated to be two tracks, 'stereo'. It's way too high amplitude. Compression helps that. Cutting out the lowest frequencies reduces 'booming' a bit. Cutting off the high frequencies helps with 'hiss'. Adding delay to the second track may give more of a stereo 'illusion'.

I'm no expert with audio editors or Audacity. I just try some different settings and see if it sounds better. Most times I leave the filter settings at default, except where mentioned above. Audacity has some tutorials at their site.

Anyways, here's what I came up with:

The modified version followed by the original version (Both are MP2):
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote