VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I was wondering if you guys know of any good automated video editing software? Something like CyberLink MagicEditor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What does "automated video editing software mean"?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. They're software which are basically fool-proof editors where you just need to provide source footage. After which you can select from a list of "themes" or "styles" is will apply with and it will randomly cut, blend or do whatever it has as pre-set. End result is a passable prettied up version of your source.

Here's a short desciption of MagicEditor

"MagicDirector offers multiple options for creating themed videos with Movie Styles such as Party, Wedding, Baby and the new Sports and Pets. Each style features unique transitions; PiP and alpha-blended effects; and frames to add a professional touch to home movies. Movie titles, and end credits can be typed with a virtual keyboard. Background music can be mixed with a video's audio track."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by x2x3x2 View Post
    They're software which are basically fool-proof editors where you just need to provide source footage. After which you can select from a list of "themes" or "styles" is will apply with and it will randomly cut, blend or do whatever it has as pre-set. End result is a passable prettied up version of your source.

Here's a short desciption of MagicEditor

"MagicDirector offers multiple options for creating themed videos with Movie Styles such as Party, Wedding, Baby and the new Sports and Pets. Each style features unique transitions; PiP and alpha-blended effects; and frames to add a professional touch to home movies. Movie titles, and end credits can be typed with a virtual keyboard. Background music can be mixed with a video's audio track."
    Boy, that sure sounds like what you're looking for. Why don't you buy it? I'm sure it will provide you with a valuable learning experience.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Like a random edit based on music beat?

If it floats your boat. Not for me.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well I've checked that software out, hence why i mentioned something like MagicEditor. Cos I've tested that out, it does the job but variety is quite limited.

Anyway it's not for learning, or not that I like these kinda software (I can imagine all you pro-editors out here thinking, damn this noob).
    I just need a "quick fix" of sorts for a bunch of videos I'm doing for free, it won't make sense for me to take time for the full Premiere+After Effects+Encore treatment. That's all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hehe, i'm sure it will put me out of business.... until someone actually watches it....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Seriously, I just need suggestions software-wise. I know all the crap these automated editors get, no need to rub it in guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dont see what your hoping for here. You asked about something that you said you already knew the opinions on(it's crap!).....then when people tell you they think its crap you say you want a different opinion!

Bottom line it does what it does....badly....and it's still crap.

But if what it does is what you want it to do.... then use it, theres no reason for you not to.
    If it doesnt do what you want it to, then don't use it.

..... still crap!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The earliest (and still going) automated editor, as far as I can remember, was Muvee. You can find the current version here.

If you have Vista or Windows 7 then you can also use Windows Live Movie Maker, which has an "auto movie" feature. It isn't themes based, and basically just adds transitions to your clips and auto fits them to your chosen audio track.

One other option is the on-line auto movie maker, Animoto. The free version produces smaller, lower res films, but there are paid options that produce higher quality material.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    x2x3x2: All teasing aside, your expectations are somewhat unrealistic. Software like MagicEditor and Muvee can aid the novice in making better-looking (and sounding) movies with less of a learning curve, but there is (currently) no such thing as a "fool proof" automated editing program. There is no software that will make intelligent editing decisions for video clips and audio soundbites. You cannot simply capture footage, press a button, and spit out a coherent movie. There is always work involved. I am wondering how you got yourself involved in making a bunch of videos for free. The task, even with the easiest software, is going to require more of a learning curve, more time, more trial-and-error, and more labor than you seem to fathom.

The good news is, nothing is beyond your ability. Software like Premiere Elements or Vegas Movie Studio are consumer-targeted editors, and have lots of tutiorials available to get you quickly up to speed. They will let you better customize your movies than some "template" or "theme" oriented movie editor. Look for editors in the Tools section of this site. Many have free trial downloads. See what works best for you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for the first sensible reply there. Perhaps I should also give some background. I'm actually very familiar with the entire sequence of video production from filming to post, all thanks to my recently attained bachelor's in multimedia. The point is actually not to learn or anything like that.

As to how I came about doing a bunch of free videos, it's just helping out a friend. He organises live gigs now and then. So it will be a bunch of music videos, as such there doesn't need to be any coherent sequence of cutting. I'll just need the software to take say 5 minute sources and perform some zoom/pan/effects to give it a more dynamic look. As of now, the source is from a static camera which has full view of the performance stage.

Basically what I need is something like MagicEditor where I can pump in all the source footage and output something less monotonous. MagicEditor is actually fine, just that it subsequent processed files tend to have similar sequences. So I'm looking for something which has more variety in the way it processes its "auto editing" sequences.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...all thanks to my recently attained bachelor's in multimedia.
    Do you plan to ever get married, own a home, have kids, etc.? Better go back and get a more career-friendly degree. The market is way, way, WAY over-saturated with graduates of your field, but there are only a finite number of jobs available. Even if you find work, the pay scale is usually low, based on the flood of available workers.

The point is actually not to learn or anything like that.
    I don't even know what to say to that. I'm an old fart, and I always want to keep learning until the day I draw my last breath.

I'll just need the software to take say 5 minute sources and perform some zoom/pan/effects to give it a more dynamic look. As of now, the source is from a static camera which has full view of the performance stage.
    Okay, you DO realize that if you zoom in on static video, you are only going to enlarge pixels and have REALLY crappy video.

So I'm looking for something which has more variety in the way it processes its "auto editing" sequences.
    Again, an unrealistic expectation.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Oh my... I have no idea what to make of that reply. It was suprising that the longest reply you had was with regards to my career when you probably don't even have an idea of my background or even which country I'm from...

Also, I hope you do realise that I'm talkin in relation to the initial topic started here? Obviously when I mentioned not learning, it was referring to the use of these automated software. Sheesh, tough crown in here, nvm then I'll just try to look elsewhere for suggestions. And yes, that BASIC zooming issue is obvious and I'm aware of all those related aspects.

Thanks anyway, appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You initial question was just "looking for automated editing software". You got answers, and insulted most of those who responded. Perhaps if you had given a lot more detail up front, you would have got responses more to your liking. Unfortunately we aren't mind-readers.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote