VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was told by a Comcast employee (a friend) that if I bought an Ez USB Transfer Cable that I could connect it to the front USB port on the 8240HDC and transfer the recorded tv shows/movies to my PC. But to do this I would need the key codes on the remote to unlock the front USB port, well I haven't spoke to him in awhile and can't reach him but he was going to send me a file that he got from Comcast on how to unlock it and never got around to it, now I have lost touch.

My question is, does anyone out there know the key codes to unlock the USB port and if so does it really work to transfer shows/movies to my pc which I can convert to dvd?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I find this a little hard to believe but I'd like to hear more too!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I find this a little hard to believe but I'd like to hear more too!
    It sounded a little off to me too, I always thought the only way was to connect Composite cables (red, white and yellow) from the out into a video capture card in your PC and then use the send to vcr feature, which you lose the HD quality if you have recorded a show from an HD channel but this is the only way I knew of. I'm looking forward to hearing if this is real or not myself LOL.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can also record HD from the component outputs from the 8240HDC with a device like the Hauppauge HD PVR (I do this). And you might be able to capture recorded material via the Firewire output. I can do this too but there are a lot of errors in the stream (picture breaks up every now and then in HD, SD works fine). I don't know if the problem is in the output from the 8240 or in the capture at the computer. Live output from the 8240 appears to be encrypted at the Firewire port. Data is coming out but nothing can decode and display it, both HD and SD.

This behavior may vary depending on the firmware. I have Cox, not Comcast.
    Quote Quote