VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So ISN'T THERE an easy solution to convert it to lower profile WITHOUT needing of re-encode the video file just change the border as you say.

Is there any EASY to use program that to EXACTLY THAT THING lower the profile of any mkv file into lower profile so it can play even at internal media player of 3dtv's???

So the all procedure i do to simply change the profile from 5.0 into 4.1 it doen't do anything at all? even at mediainfo it shows that the converted file IT IS HIGH@4.1????

A LOT OF THANKS.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    So ISN'T THERE an easy solution to convert it to lower profile WITHOUT needing of re-encode the video file just change the border as you say.

Is there any EASY to use program that to EXACTLY THAT THING lower the profile of any mkv file into lower profile so it can play even at internal media player of 3dtv's???

A LOT OF THANKS.

For some videos it is possible. If the "profile" assigned (or think of it as a name) was higher than the actual data, then you can change those successfully . In these cases the actual data conforms to L4.1 or lower, but someone put a L5.0 label on it.

For others it is not possible. You cannot change the actual video data without re-encoding it. If it uses 5 reference frames in certain sections (you can enter 5 in the encoding settings, but that doesn't mean it actually uses them) .

"Lowering the profile" is like changing the "name." It doesn't change the actual important video data. If the actual video data violates those levels, you cannot do anything except re-encode it

So the all procedure i do to simply change the profile from 5.0 into 4.1 it doen't do anything at all? even at mediainfo it shows that the converted file IT IS HIGH@4.1????
    It does do something. It changes the label (but again, it's just a name). But often that's not enough

If I have a Honda Civic and I put a Ferrari bodykit on, it's still a Civic underneath.
    Quote Quote  
  3. mediainfo only reads the headers, so if you change the headers it will tell you what you changed, it you set the headers to signal profile 1.0 mediainfo will report so,.. problem is, that if your stream needs/uses the vbv restrictions like from the level specified, changing the headers won't make you file magically compatible since the nature of the stream didn't change.
    -> only sure way to change the level requirements is to reencode,..

ps.: poisondeathray was faster
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yes but the program tsmuxer doesn't REALLY changes the profile?????????

If not please tell me ONE AND ONLY program that REALLY DO THAT convertation into lower profile please....

A LOT OF THANKS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. tsmuxer is a muxer is does not change the profile, it just changes the container,...
    to change the profile you need to reencode i.e. with ffmpeg/handbrake/Hybrid/ripbot/megui/ffcoder/...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    Yes but the program tsmuxer doesn't REALLY changes the profile?????????

Changing the profile with tsmuxer or related programs won't help you. It's like changing the name. The actual important video data is not changed.

If I call you "fits80," you're still "fits79" underneath. Changing the "name" won't help

You likely have to re-encode this one . The only time where changing the profile (without re-encoding) works, is in those videos that are actually L4.1 (just mislabelled as 5.0) - or they don't contain any characteristics that violate high@L4.1
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    So the only correct solution is to download another release of the movie that it was at profile high@4.1 correct?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    So the only correct solution is to download another release of the movie that it was at profile high@4.1 correct?

That doesn't necessarily ensure anything.

There are other reasons that HDTV players won't play videos

But L5.0 (label) with actual L5.0 content will ensure it doesn't play

But you have a better chance of success if you controlled the settings used
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    What did you mean by controlled the settings used????

I don't have external media player ONLY the internal media player that my 3dtv has.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    What did you mean by controlled the settings used????

I don't have external media player ONLY the internal media player that my 3dtv has.

I mean you rip the blu-ray and you enter the compatible settings for encoding

Or - If you re-encode using compatible settings of your chosing, you have more control as well

Of course the 1st choice will get you better quality

(What I'm getting at is if you download it from somewhere, you have no control what someone else used)

Or maybe an even better idea is build an HTPC - you can play anything without worrying
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    But the thing is that I DON'T HAVE BLURAY PLAYER/ROM so.....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well then there is no easy solution - you have to hope someone used compatible settings, or take your existing video and re-encode it with compatible settings suffering the quality loss and time wasted

If the video was actually high@4.1 content, but "mislabelled" as 5.0, those utilities discussed earlier should work
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    What is have better the profiles 5 and above than the profiles 4 and below?????

Is so big the difference at the video quality?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    What is have better the profiles 5 and above than the profiles 4 and below?????

Is so big the difference at the video quality?

no big difference

In fact, blu-ray original source comes as high@L4.1 (L5.0 isn't supported)

better quality would be to rip original source without re-encoding even
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    So WHY it encode the mkv files into profile high@5.1 even bluray has the profile high@4.1?????

WHICH IS THE REASON OF THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    So WHY it encode the mkv files into profile high@5.1 even bluray has the profile high@4.1?????

WHICH IS THE REASON OF THAT?

Because the person that encoded it chose to do that. 5 reference frames @ 1920 will put you in L5.1 territory

People chose to use 10bit AVC as well, but it's not compatible with blu-ray or any standalone devices
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    So which is the reason to use it if it is NOT COMBATIBLE with anyt of that?

So it is a waste of time correct?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    So which is the reason to use it if it is NOT COMBATIBLE with anyt of that?

They might be using an HTPC. Then it's compatible for them. Maybe their destination goal is PC playback? Why don' t you ask him

Some settings slightly improve compression (slightly better quality at a given bitrate), but break compabitility. e.g. 10bit avc will get you better compression and quality compared to 8bit, but break compatibility with most standalone devices

So it is a waste of time correct
    You have to decide if it's a waste of time for you. Re-encoding with compatible settings will likely make it playable, but the quality will be lower. (the one you have is already lower quality ~9Mbs than the original blu-ray - the original would usually be ~3x the size, usually 25-35Mb/s)

When you re-encode with a lossy format, it always lowers the quality. If you use higher compressibility settings, it takes longer (maybe hours/days depending on your hardware)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    No this is you tell it ISN'T CORRECT and this is because EVERY CODEC/PC/TOOLS it use THERE IS NO WAY THAT HAVE BETTER QUALITY FROM SOURCE THAT IT IS BLURAY AND HAS PROFILE HIGH@4.1 SO IT IS A WASTE OF TIME.....
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    No this is you tell it ISN'T CORRECT and this is because EVERY CODEC/PC/TOOLS it use THERE IS NO WAY THAT HAVE BETTER QUALITY FROM SOURCE THAT IT IS BLURAY AND HAS PROFILE HIGH@4.1 SO IT IS A WASTE OF TIME.....

You never get better quality than the original source

But better compression implies better quality at a given bitrate

You're downloading smaller, compressed re-encoded video, not the actual blu-ray. They are already compressed compared to the blu-ray

e.g. If you have a 10Mb/s re-encode, one that uses better settings will have slightly higher quailty than one that used worse settings . Neither will be as good as the original. That' s the reason to use better settings (which might break compatibility)
    Quote Quote  
  21. in short: higher profile@level combinations allow the encoder to use additional compression options which can help to archive a smaller output file without sacrificing as much quality.
    also fits79, please refrain from writing words in all capital letters. 1st it makes it uncomfortable to read the stuff you write 2nd it's normally interpreted as yelling, which really isn't something one should do while searching for help.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Slipster View Post
    Originally Posted by frmys View Post
    If Reframes value of Mkv is bigger than 5 it will not play on Samsung tvs.
    I'm a little confused by this as the two recent Samsung 5000 series 'LED' TVs I've tried MP4 packaged x264 files with a Reframes value of 8 with both play back all files perfectly, as have a wide range of other USB-enabled TVs...
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Are you sure those were full HD (1920x1080) ?

The reason is, it's dependent on resolution
    Sorry for any confusion. I was referring to SD encodings, not HD as I'd seen no reference made to HD before the MediaInfo dump so had assumed fits79 meant ALL encodings. D'oh!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    This tool (uncropMKV) any good? It has profile selection. I also actually have same problem, have to convert mkv to different profile and just label change doesn't work.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/uncropMKV
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Use this: http://www.xmedia-recode.de/download.html
    It changes the H.264 level, the Audio codec and don't disapear with the subtitles out of nowhere (trust me, i couldnt find anything that would do, altogether, this 3 things)

And it even works on my deep-encoded (messed up) mkv anime files. It's ******* awesome.
    give it a try

(I've tested the file in a Sony DBP-S590)
    Quote Quote