VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello.

I have a Viewsonic vmp30 media player which can play 1080p/720p *.mkv files on my panasonic plasma tv.

It seems this player (like PS3 also) cannot play mkv files which encoded in 5.1 high profile.

Changing the header tag of the mkv with a hex editor didn't helped, i had to fully reencode the mkv file.

The best solution seem to be a FREE program called Mediacoder 0.7.3.4605

You can download it from here: http://www.brothersoft.com/mediacoder-62194.html

On the video tag change the level from 5.1 to 4.1, set the bitrate the same as the original mkv file,
    on the audio tag select "copy audio" and "no up-sampling", and push start transcoding jobs button, and here you go!

It converts the mkv file from 5.1 to 4.1, i can play it successfully now on my media player, and shows
    brilliant picture on plasma tv.

I hope it helps many people who had the same problem.

Bye,

Utahmar
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or use uncropmkv, load the mkv and under profile change to 4.1. Convert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Or use uncropmkv, load the mkv and under profile change to 4.1. Convert.
    I dont find the voice *convert* in uncropmkv...can you explaine better what i must to do fo change just profile???
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    My Samsung LED TV refuses to play H264 files (MKV) just by reading the profile level: if greater than 4.1 it simply won't play.
    Hex editing the MKV will make the file play, but is a boring and error-prone task.

So I created H264LevelEditor, a tool to make this edit quickly.
    It's free and can be found here:
    http://coolsoft.altervista.org/h264leveleditor
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    nicorac: please stop dig up old threads. And your software looks nice but no download? It just says soon.
    Quote Quote  
  6. the easiest way to change the level is open the mkv in tsmuxer select demux change level to 4.1 then then you mux it back with mkvtoolnix and make sure you keep the frame rate the same
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    nicorac: please stop dig up old threads. And your software looks nice but no download? It just says soon.
    Sorry for necro-posting (does this word exist? ), but I'd like to leave a solution for the people like me that were experiencing this issue.

I wrote H264LevelEditor after a long googling aroung, finding only people saying "open HEX editor, look for this pattern, change that byte to...". I'd like to put an answer just near those questions.

PS: H264LevelEditor is now finally available
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by nicorac View Post
    Sorry for necro-posting (does this word exist? ), but I'd like to leave a solution for the people like me that were experiencing this issue.

I wrote H264LevelEditor after a long googling aroung, finding only people saying "open HEX editor, look for this pattern, change that byte to...". I'd like to put an answer just near those questions.

Oh yeah...and your are italian like i can see ....
    Cavolo un programma cosi piccolo che fa una cosa cosė complicata ....molto molto bene..lo sprovo subito e se non presenta problemi lo Pubblicizzo alla grande
    Quote Quote  
  9. i'm so sorry to say you that your program don't do what we want...i changed level to my mkv file with high@l.5.1 level and after used h264 levelEditor avinaptic say me High@L.4.1 but my player have the same problem.
    TY for your job but is still complicated to have a real easy tool for do that
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Just to be clear: H264Editor does not change the video stream anyway.
    It only changes a value in file header, where it "declares" its level to the world.

Most of the 5.1 encoded files out there are not really 5.1, but over-leveled 4.0 or 4.1.
    If the file itself is encoded using 5.1-only features, and your player is not able to decode it, well... you must reencode it, no way.

I have a Samsung LED TV: its embedded mediaplayer reads the header first. If it finds a level >4.1 it stops immediately, otherwise it tries to play the file. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.
    Last edited by nicorac; 6th Jan 2011 at 16:58.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by nicorac View Post
    J
    Most of the 5.1 encoded files out there are not really 5.1, but over-leveled 4.0 or 4.1.
    If the file itself is encoded using 5.1-only features, and your player is not able to decode it, well... you must reencode it, no way.
    Well this is an aspect that I didn't know....but now i await some development about your program
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by nicorac View Post

thanks for your software,it works for my blu-ray player.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by nicorac View Post
    J

I have a Samsung LED TV: its embedded mediaplayer reads the header first. If it finds a level >4.1 it stops immediately, otherwise it tries to play the file. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.
    If Reframes value of Mkv is bigger than 5 it will not play on Samsung tvs. This time it is not important if level is decreased to 4.x.

Could you please recode your program that it also tries to cheat Samsung tv for Reframes values?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Changing ReFrames tag value should not work because it is not only informative, that's how the video stream was encoded.
    I mean, it's not easy to find a wrongly ReFrames tagged file because this parameter is controlled by the encoder itself and it really use the value chosen by the user during the compression.

The profile tag is also chosen by the user, but if the compression doesn't need high level features (i.e. low resolution) it simply doesn't use them (while tagging the stream as High@5.1 anyway). That's why a re-tagging, as H264LevelEditor does, will make the file playable.

I think your last chance is a reencode.
    Take a look here:
    RipBot264: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127611
    MeGUI: http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/MeGUI
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I want one EASY program that do that work.

I try the "H264LevelEditor" but even it say successfully changed it DOESN'T CHANGE ANYTHING AT ALL because i show that with mediainfo and some other media players that tells 5.1 and NOT 4.1 that this program says.

So can you suggest me one EASY program that can convert one mkv file between profiles.

A LOT OF THANKS.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    H264LevelEditor is a pattern editor: it searches for level patterns and replaces them.
    It does not re-encode the file, nor it interpret its header, that's why it's so fast and does not copy the whole file.

That said, what type file are you trying to patch? MKV, AVI, WMV?
    By default H264LevelEditor searches for level patterns into the first MB of the file; that's because search&replace is done at byte level so it could lead to false positives (and so wrong replacements).
    1MB is a safer size, but sometimes this pattern is repeated more than one time over this limit (especially in AVI files).

Could you please try to raise search limit through the options panel and retest the file? Try first 10MB, then 20... up to 100MB.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I try always at mkv files and most of them it is far bigger than 4gb mostly 8 - 12 gb per file so don't you must create a program that search all these you tell by itself(AUTOMATIC) and not must set it up by user that he doesn't know which number is the best solution.

Bottom line is that YOUR PROGRAM DOESN'T WORK AT ALL LIKE THE VERY OLD TSMUXER that unfortunatelly not supported anymore....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    you must create a program that search all these you tell by itself (AUTOMATIC) and not must set it up by user that he doesn't know which number is the best solution.
    Searching for AVC level pattern through the whole file is simply USELESS, because it is only declared into the header; the rest of the file (99.9999%) is audio/video data, and this must not be changed.
    Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    YOUR PROGRAM DOESN'T WORK AT ALL LIKE THE VERY OLD TSMUXER
    This is your opinion, and I respect it.
    But please consider that H264LevelEditor IS NOT like TsMuxer, and it never aimed at being so.
    This is clearly stated on its webpage:
    Just to be clear: H264LevelEditor does not change video stream compression.
    It only changes a value in file header, where it "declares" its level to the world.
    Many of the 5.1 encoded files out there are not really 5.1, but over-leveled 4.0 or 4.1.
    Its purpose is to try to "fake" the header of over-leveled files and this is done with an "in place" search&replace algorithm to be as fast as possible and do not require double HDD space.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I am NEVER say that your program is the replacer of tsmuxer. You wish to be but it isn't.
    I simply take a point that your program it isn't work at all like tsmuxer work perfect as a program. In little words your program and tsmuxer it is day vs night.

I simply ASK if there is any replacement of tsmuxer program and if it is which is that program?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by frmys View Post
    If Reframes value of Mkv is bigger than 5 it will not play on Samsung tvs.
    I'm a little confused by this as the two recent Samsung 5000 series 'LED' TVs I've tried MP4 packaged x264 files with a Reframes value of 8 with both play back all files perfectly, as have a wide range of other USB-enabled TVs, so it's either a problem that's specific to some models of Samsung TV (older ones maybe?), or it's something else about your files that's stopping them from working.

Whatever, as a global statement, your comment is incorrect, although it may have been correct at the time of posting.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    So is there any program THAT WORK and CONVERT the profile high@5.1 to 4.1 with a light program like tsmuxer or mkvtoolnix.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    @fits79: There is NEVER going to be a program that can convert ALL High@5.1 files to High@4.1 without possibly having to re-encode the video, as 5.1 has a higher upper bitrate limit, a higher maximum macroblock count, a higher maximum resolution, a higher maximum framerate, and so on.

As has already been said (or at least inferred) many times in this thread, you can only successfully reassign a High@5.1 file to High@4.1 if it complies in every way with the 4.1 specifications, ie, has been either deliberately or accidentally mislabeled as a 5.1 when it's actually a 4.1 or below.

See the explanation of Levels HERE.
    Last edited by Slipster; 23rd Aug 2012 at 06:35.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Ok do you have any program to suggest me to lowet up the profile leven from 5 and above to 4 and below???

As already mentioning the "H264LevelEditor" DOESN'T WORK AT AL so....
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    You clearly haven't read or understood any of my last post. Not wishing to look rude, but I'm giving up on this one now.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    You are wrong i read your last post but i don't see any program that can change the profile of an mkv file to a lower so....
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    OK. One last try...

Are you saying that,

a) H264LevelEditor doesn't change the reported level, or

b) the reported level changes but the file still won't play?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Yeap as i said the h264leveleditor it is a complete failure because IT DOESN'T ANYTHING THAT IT SAYING IS DO SO.....
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Hi i find one video that is profile high@5.0 and becaue my samsung ue40es6100 3dtv DOESN'T SUPPORT high@5 and above i convert it with programs

extract all the values of the mkv file with the "MKVExtractGUI 2.2.2.9 "
    i combine and convert the profile high@5.0 to high@4.1 into .ts or .m2ts file and try to see it in my tv without any success...

What i do wrong?

The statistics of the ORIGINAL video file BEFORE the convert by mediainfo is:

Code:
    UniqueID/String :     214509722837410971224052156570064590453 (0xA16111E22DFDCC03A6A6BB7689C71675)
    CompleteName :     C:\Jdownloader things\Movies\P.S.I.Love You 2007 1080p BluRay x264-HDEX.mkv
    Format :     Matroska
    Format_Version :     Version 1
    FileSize/String :     8,34 GiB
    Duration/String :     2h 5mn
    OverallBitRate/String :     9 492 Kbps
    Encoded_Date :     UTC 2008-08-31 08:43:45
    Encoded_Application :     mkvmerge v2.2.0 ('Turn It On Again') built on Mar 4 2008 12:58:26
    Encoded_Library/String :     libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
    ID/String :     1
    Format :     AVC
    Format/Info :     Advanced Video Codec
    Format_Profile :     High@L5.0
    Format_Settings_CABAC/String :     Ναι
    Format_Settings_RefFrames/String :     5 frame
    CodecID :     V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    BitRate/String :     9 042 Kbps
    Width/String :     1 920 εικονοστοιχεία
    Height/String :     1 040 εικονοστοιχεία
    DisplayAspectRatio/String :     1,85:1
    FrameRate/String :     24,000 fps
    ColorSpace :     YUV
    ChromaSubsampling :     4:2:0
    BitDepth/String :     8 bits
    ScanType/String :     Συνεχής σάρωση
    Bits-(Pixel*Frame) :     0.189
    StreamSize/String :     7,78 GiB (93%)
    Encoded_Library/String :     x264 core 61 r947M af82aae
    Encoded_Library_Settings :     cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 /  analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy_rd=1.0:1.0 / brdo=1 /  mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 /  deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 /  mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 /  wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40(pre) /  rc=2pass / bitrate=9042 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' /  qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 /  ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:2.00
    Language/String :     English
    Default/String :     Ναι
    Forced/String :     Όχι

Ήχος
    ID/String :     2
    Format :     AC-3
    Format/Info :     Audio Coding 3
    Format_Settings_ModeExtension :     CM (complete main)
    Format_Settings_Endianness :     Big
    CodecID :     A_AC3
    BitRate/String :     448 Kbps
    Channel(s)/String :     6 κανάλια
    ChannelPositions :     Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    SamplingRate/String :     48,0 KHz
    BitDepth/String :     16 bits
    StreamSize/String :     403 MiB (5%)
    Language/String :     English
    Default/String :     Ναι
    Forced/String :     Όχι
    Quote Quote  
  29. ref 5 usually causes problems at that resolution with cheap TV players. Re-encode with 4 or less. You might need to add borders back as well, some players have problems with non standard frame sizes
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Slipster View Post
    Originally Posted by frmys View Post
    If Reframes value of Mkv is bigger than 5 it will not play on Samsung tvs.
    I'm a little confused by this as the two recent Samsung 5000 series 'LED' TVs I've tried MP4 packaged x264 files with a Reframes value of 8 with both play back all files perfectly, as have a wide range of other USB-enabled TVs, so it's either a problem that's specific to some models of Samsung TV (older ones maybe?), or it's something else about your files that's stopping them from working.

Whatever, as a global statement, your comment is incorrect, although it may have been correct at the time of posting.
    Are you sure those were full HD (1920x1080) ?

The reason is, it's dependent on resolution

You can use 4 reference frames for 1920x1080 material, but 1280x720 @ L4.1 can use up to 9

fits79 - changing the level won't change the reference frames. It has to be re-encoded. In fact, currently the "level" is just a label or "name" in x264. It actually doesn't limit anything. You can change the "name" but it doesn't change the actual video data . You need to conform to specs if you want certain hardware to play it.
    Quote Quote