VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a relatively new Samsung television with a USB port in the back. I also have a 160GB external full of movies (all in .avi format). Simply plugging the external into the TV itself obviously won't do it. What do I need to have to play my movies on the TV?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by twentyroses View Post
    I have a relatively new Samsung television with a USB port in the back. I also have a 160GB external full of movies (all in .avi format). Simply plugging the external into the TV itself obviously won't do it. What do I need to have to play my movies on the TV?

Thanks.
    Depends what your model supports over the USB port. Some only do JPG and MP3 audio. Top end models have a full chart of supported formats as printed in your manual. Some work only with flash media, others will create a menu directory from a FAT32 formatted hard drive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do you know the best way to go about finding whether my model will support said files? If I remember correctly from looking at it in the store, it does. If that is the case, what input does the television need to be set to in order to read the external?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know the best way to go about finding whether my model will support said files? If I remember correctly from looking at it in the store, it does. If that is the case, what input does the television need to be set to in order to read the external?
    Read the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I have a relatively new Samsung television with a USB port in the back. I also have a 160GB external full of movies (all in .avi format). Simply plugging the external into the TV itself obviously won't do it. What do I need to have to play my movies on the TV?

Thanks.
    Depends what your model supports over the USB port. Some only do JPG and MP3 audio. Top end models have a full chart of supported formats as printed in your manual. Some work only with flash media, others will create a menu directory from a FAT32 formatted hard drive.
    so current TVs do not support NTFS formatted drives? important consideration, cos most HD files are well over 4gb. :/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the current Samsung LED TVs happily read NTFS formatted discs of 750GB or greater, and can play a wide variety of formats, including 720p mkv files with DTS audio. However, at least in the case of my brother's new TV, all of this is very clearly spelled out in the manual, including a reasonably clear table showing all the playable formats.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Keep in mind, hooking up bus powered (no external power supply) drives to TV's and disc players may or may not work. Depends on the TV/player and the controller in the USB device.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Some of the current Samsung LED TVs happily read NTFS formatted discs of 750GB or greater, and can play a wide variety of formats, including 720p mkv files with DTS audio. However, at least in the case of my brother's new TV, all of this is very clearly spelled out in the manual, including a reasonably clear table showing all the playable formats.
    yup, mkv is outright pasted on the TV as an "outstanding feature" of the samsung TVs. but from what i see, there's no support for m2ts/mov files.. looks like a standalone hd media player is still needed after all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look this is getting silly. In the Samsung line alone, USB file support varies by model as you go from cheapest model to most expensive.

You need to read the manual. Usually the PDF's are available for download. If you own the TV, you have the manual.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very few will play mov files, as that requires Apple licensing. m2ts can be easily repackaged as mkv files (and with lower overheads). However as every TV supports something different, the better option is to get a good media player that supports the most formats, and not rely on the TV to do the work. Then you aren't constrained in the TV you buy. Personally, there are a lot more important things in the decision than what formats are supported through USB. That is just icing. I would rather have top image quality and no USB playback than mediocre image quality and mkv playback.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't understand why you haven't given Samsung a call - they are well represented in Singapore - or Google the model number and check the specs or as everyone has be saying READ THE MANUAL

PS I think the Popcorn C200 would be an excellent media player if you want to go down that road. Mine so far plays anything I throw at it..
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. easiest way to play a m2ts file on samsung led tv thru media player is to change the file type from m2ts to either mp4 or mkv your tv will then see the file and play the file fine have done this with untouched full m2ts files from a bd50 and bd25 every one has worked fine
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a USB stick. No problem with mkv files, MpEG4 or lesser formats. I sometimes get a problem with MPEG4 or even MKV, but remuxing with mkvmerge always sorts it.

If you use a hard disc drive, you'll need power for it as the TV will not be sufficient.

I tend to stick to 720p files of at least 2gb in size. The better ones are sharper than the supposed HD that Sky dishes out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thanks.
    Actually, simply plugging it in should do it, suffice to say you have the power supply for the drive.
    Quote Quote